Need Advice--Predator or Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice--Predator or Raptor

Originally posted by: BoatGuy
Thanks to all of the replies.

I have now changed my mind to the Predator of Yfz 450. Any comments on this. This is based on the suspension of both. It seems that both have killer suspension, so now I have to figure it out. I have realized that I keep coming back to the Predator, but I want to make sure that when I buy this, I'm not missing anything in other bikes. My concern with the yfz450 is how will it feel after riding for 50-60 miles or so at one time. I also like the DS, but the sales guys (even if they sell them as well) tell me for what I want, it is not the best.

Once again thank you for your comments and I appreciate them, they have helped.
That's funny. From everything you described I think the DS would be a great choice but, I have seen what you are talking about. Dealer's trying to push one machine over another. Keep in mind, often these are sales guys that never really ride!

Recently I was at my dealer getting parts and someone called asking about the DS. The sales guy was an idiot! He pretty much told the guy that the DS was too big for him and he should come in and look at their Artic Cat 400 (same as the Z400). Amazing! He didn't ask what kind of riding he did or anything. He just thought that since the guy wasn't at least 6'2" and 200+# that the DS wasn't for him. If I was the guy on the other end of the phone I probably would have gone and bought a Raptor! I have seen many small guys on the DS and they ride without any problem! Don't know what your dealer was thinking.

As for the YFZ. . . you won't be able to walk the next day after that kind of ride.

I hear you really leaning toward the Predator so I say get it. I can tell that is the quad you really want. (I will maintain. . . from what I have heard I think the DS would be a great option for you as well!)

Another personal question. . . how old are you? If you are in your 20's go ahead and throw the YFZ back into the decision making process. Your a$$ will recover from the hard seat quick enough where you won't notice it. If you are in your 30's the Predator or DS are better suited for you and if you are in your. . . let's just say wiser than that. . . you seriously need to ride the DS before you rule it out.

Here's a thought for you. . . call Gary up at TVI motorsports in Oregon. He sells the Predator and the DS and I know he has ridden both. Tell him what kind of riding you do and ask him what he suggests. His number is (503) 320-9688. Gary seriously rides as well as sells these things so I am interested in what he says to you.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all of the replies.

I am now considering a DS as well. Side by side the DS has more of everything than any other quad, but is the extra 60# that much of a difference?

Thanks again.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

First off, I'd like to suggest that you never again talk to the salesman that said a DS doesn't fit your kind of riding.

If your trails are as wide as a car, you have no worries about fitting any quad through them. Trails in other places are WAY narrower.

It doesn't sound like reverse is an issue for you, so that's not an issue.

If you're going to be riding dunes and desert, that's what the DS was designed for. The suspension is unmatched for a stock quad, as is the reliability.
Don't worry about the extra weight. All it does in wide open spaces is improves the ride. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I've ridden in a group that included a 65 yr old man and his 15 year old granddaughter both on DS650's. Neither of them were having any problems tearing up the dunes and through the trails.

And finally, if you're 6'2", only the DS and the old Quadzilla are properly proportioned for you to really have a comfortable seating position.

Then again, as you can see by my signature, I'm a little biased. But it's for good reason. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Don't believe me or any salesman, go try one out.

Old 12-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,
I am a die hard polaris guy as you can see I own 4 of them. When I decided to buy a sports machine I thought the Pred was a no brainer. My neighbor let me ride his Raptor but it was not very stable under full throttle and also hard turning. So, then I starting reading about all the problems the 03 predator had. Then while looking through these forums I found that the bombardier forum was full of enthusiastic owners who were not having any problems with theirs and investing more money in them. So I took one for a ride and the DS is in my garage. You can pick up new 03 for $5000 OTD. (EBAY). The rotax has much more power than the Yam or Pred and the wide stance make it handle great. I have yet to need reverse as it can basically donut in a circle on dry pavement[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I am a happy DS owner so I recommend at least considering it.
Cammer

Old 12-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Range Rover

trailrider, you live in hammond? i was born in hammond, my folks had a house on rhode island st. my grandparents family home was on arizona st. My uncle still lives on ridge road in highland, as well as having family living in cal city. our last house was in a small(at that time) town in the cornfields called lake village, close to roselawn. prob dont mean much to you but thought i would mention\

james

Old 12-09-2003, 09:49 PM
Range Rover

I have a DS and have riden everything, pavement, open trails, tight trails, sand, motocross tracks, you name it I ride it. I love it, I'm 6'1" 160. The DS jumps and handles better than any quad I have ever riden. Unless you just can't fit down the trails the DS can go just as fast as any other quad, I keep up with dirt bikes, and pass others on mine, same with the motocross. If I had to buy another ATV today I would get a DS650 without thinking twice.