Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Advice--Predator or Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice--Predator or Raptor

I am looking to get my first quad. Always been a lake person so finally decided to get dirty.

I have narrowed it down to a Predator of Raptor. I have read tons of different things, but can't seem to get through all of the BS of it. I am leaning towards the Predator due to everything you get stock, but the salespeople always seem loyal to the Raptor, even if they carry both. I know the Raptor is more top heavy, but are the extra cc's making that much difference in power?

Please help with any insight you may have.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Welcome to the forums!!!!! I am in the market for a pred or rappy, i have been looking for somthing more sporty than my scrammy... The rappy is a sweet bike, but for the best bang for your buck the pred takes it!!!
This is what i have found the pred has lots of nice stuff stock that the rappy dont have it holds its own is a race with the raptor and the 500cc engine has a ton of power... And there is a ton of parts out there for the pred now to make it even faster... You have to buy a 04 pred the 03s sucked!!! The only down side is no reverse....

JMO....
Trailrider

Old 12-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Best advice I could give is to go ride each of them, ignore any and all salespersons (they aren't trying to do anything except make money), talk to ATV mechanics--ask general questions about each ride....go with what you can afford and still have money to mod it up....or buy as much as you can already on the quad.

If it were me and I had it to those 2...I'd go with the Rappy simply because I feel more comfortable sitting on one, it fits better if only in my head [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Overall I'd say that the Pred is a better all-around quad, just sucks that they don't have reverse.....

Old 12-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

reverse is the only down side with both in stock form.. pred handles better, better suspension.. the only thing a rappy has on a pred is reverse.

Old 12-05-2003, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I went with the raptor for the power. I mostly ride in sand and the torque is unmatched. I just read too many articles about the predator bogging down.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ok.. so the raptor has 2 things on the pred.. reverse.. and some torque.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

I hate to say this, but I would probibly go with the Rappy just for reverse. I think the Predator is a superior bike except for reverse. After having to tow a DS650 with my Scrambler becuase he was stuck in a place and could not back up there is no way I'll run a quad without reverse.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

all depends on where you ride bud... you dont buy a sport machine to go mudding.. and i have never needed reverse.. i just had to get my lazy *** of the machine to back it up... but if i were to only trail ride.. i supose i would want it..

Old 12-06-2003, 12:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think i am going with the rappy just for the fact that it has reverse.. I will upgrade the crappy parts like the shocks etc.... Dont worry guys i am keeping the scram too just want a sporty trail quad!!!

Old 12-06-2003, 01:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I would go with the raptor for a few reasons over the predator for your first quad.
1. tons of raptors sold and on the trails
2. More availible aftermarket parts
3. Although all quads break, polaris is the least relible IMO
4. Give polaris a few more years in the manual sport department. (polaris is willing to change from year to year) I believe that they will have the predator bullet proof in a few more.
5. The raptor is much more friendly in the motor department.

Quick Reply: Need Advice--Predator or Raptor