Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

disconnecting oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disconnecting oil pump?

In the snow you don't have to worry about dirt as much.
On an atv you do!!! do what you think is right but, My not the only one who has had a engine burn down because of the oil pump.
they are nice ontill they burn your engine and you won't kow if there is something wrong with it ontill it's too late. That is why i Pre-mix. this way I know it's got enough oil.
For how much weight it save isn't really a factor. It dosen't weigh that much Your boots probley weigh more.

Old 12-11-2003, 04:39 PM
Range Rover

My question is how are you getting dirt into the oil pump? There is no way unless you are dumping dirt into the tank. Dirt does not affect the operation of an oil pump in any way unless you are literally putting dirt in with your oil. Now if you are sucking dirt in through your air intake then you have other problems that have nothing to do with the oil pump. As for the snowmobile again dirt has nothing to do with the operation of an oil pump so the snowmobile application is valid. Jay

Old 12-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Range Rover

The biggest enemy of two strokes regarding oil is letting the motor sit unused for an extended period of time. The oil is washed out of the crank leaving the bearings on the crank suseptiable to rust. I have seen more crank failures do to improper storage on engines then any other reason. Also mixing fuel may be easy for you but I have seen a lot of yahoo's out their guesstimating the mixture and just assuming that they have enough. You are right though it is to each his own. Praise God for a free country. Jay

Old 12-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

If you have both a 2 and 4 stroke, I would fix the pump. We take two 5 gallon gas cans when we ride. Wouldn't want to have someone do me a "favor" and put the wrong gas in for me.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Range Rover

i agree with both of you, but i will say this, the way dirt, even a small amount can get in to the oil by filling it when the bike is not completely clean, now i try to cleam the fill hole completly before unscrewing the lid, but its very possible to get alittle dirt in the res. when you take the lid off.
i realize it is a pain in the a$$, to premix, but how much of a pain would it be, if you junked the injector??? i realize that they are durable, but lets face it, they were assembled by humans and humans are never 100 % efficient... some of us got a good deal of money tied up in our engines, and stand to lose alot, if the motor locks up.... would you drive downhill in a car with no brakes???? my thought is anything i can control is better for me, someone said it best , you wont know its broke until the engines gone... it is mechanical, and get this it will fail sometime, do you know when???? i work a ford dealership, and i have seen brand new trucks with failed components, i got an 04 f-150 with 10 miles on it on a lift waiting for a new transmission and it hasnt even sold yet, so my point is just because your bike may be new, or you take excellent care of it, does not mean it wont fail.

just my humble thoughts
james

Old 12-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

My mechanics theory behind the burn ups on premix is this. On premix the ratio is set regardless of demands on the motor. The motor get the same amount of oil whether it's screaming or putting. OIl injection methods may vary, but all give the motor more oil as engine speed increases. When it really needs extra oil it gets it. Plus I run an inline filter on my oil line as well as my fuel line so the dirt in the injector doesn't cut it. Plus it would have to be a pretty big chunk of crud to stop the injector up. It is up to the individual.

Old 12-12-2003, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Who is this yahoo 11 posts and he thinks he knows everything. Come on NOW,Do you really think I'm putting dirt in the oil? I work on these things all the time and have seen specks of dirt get into the tank and cause problems. James said it ( the dirt gets trapped around te cap and can fall into the tank.Also I have put alot of money into this quad so I want to know what it is getting.
AT 32:1 pre-mix and bell-ray H1R oil you will never burn up if your jetting is on.I have shattered reeds from high over revs and raced this thing wide open for miles and hadn't had anything go wrong in a year. About a ounth a go I took te top end of tinking that I should need to change the rings, To my suprise NOTHING WAS WRONG I could still see the cross hach marks andthe rings showed very little wear.
NOW I BELEIVE THAT BELL-RAY H1R IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN USE IN PRE-MIX

Old 12-12-2003, 08:32 AM
Range Rover

Hmmm, A yahoo with 11 posts can't know anything? That sounds mature. Since when does post count have anything to do with knowledge. If that was the case I would become a posting troll and run my count up past your mighty 98. I just found the site give me a break. I have 15 years of 2 stroke experience. I have been a certified cycle and sled mechanic for 4 years now. I know my stuff. As for dirt in the tank yes it can get in there but not on its own. Don't go blaming the injection system and saying they are no good because you knock oil in the tank. As mentioned an inline filter will take care of all your dirt worries anyways. If you wanna run without injection that is your choice. Today's oil injection systems while not fool proof are the most dependable part of today's bikes and sleds. Keep your one oil line adjusted properly and your good to go. I have torn down and rebuilt several 2 stroke motors and the number one problem is not oil but rusty crank bearings. I have yet to run into a failed pump that did not fail cause the crank took it out. Jay

Old 12-12-2003, 09:26 AM
Range Rover

whats funny is this, i believe you jay, but listen while i dont wish any bad luck on you or anyone else, if your injector ever does go out the first thing you will remember, is this post.lol
james

Old 12-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Range Rover

True james very true [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: disconnecting oil pump?