Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

97 scramber 500...Front right wheel still grabs when 4x4 button is not engaged

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003 | 08:44 PM
DJN
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 97 scramber 500...Front right wheel still grabs when 4x4 button is not engaged

If I juice the throttle, the front right wheel usually grabs and goes like it's engaged in 4x4 but the button is not engaged. When I use 4x4 it works like it should, all 4 going! It doesn't happen all the time, but it will occasionaly even engage when I'm moving and it pulls me to the right. I have a 97 Scrambler 500. Is this a common symtom? anyone experience this? I would appreciate the help

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

DJN

Old 12-10-2003 | 08:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 97 scramber 500...Front right wheel still grabs when 4x4 button is not engaged

Sounds like your amature plate is sticking. When is the last time you changed your hub fluid. I would be willing to be that that is the problem

Old 12-10-2003 | 09:59 PM
DJN
|
Weekend Warrior

I haven't ever done it. I picked it up used and and couldn't say one way or the other if its even been done at all. Is that an easy fluid change? new to the ATV seen and haven't done much with them.

DJN

Old 12-10-2003 | 10:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Its real easy to change. Take the plastic cap off the end of the front hub and let the fluid drain. Re-install the cap (it may be a good idea to replace the o-ring on the cap too). Then remove the fill plug on the hub. It has a hex key head. Fill the hub with the fluid. Rorate the hub so that the fill hole is at a 4:00 postion and let the excess drain out. It onlt holds about 8oz or so, not much at all. That is all there is to it. If you don't want to use the Polaris hub fluid, then you can use ATF type F, OR, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. I find that the Mobil 1 works a lot better.

Old 12-10-2003 | 10:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Oh, and welcome to the Connection. Happy to have you aboard[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Since you are not familiar with the machine yet, I would highly suggest getting a Polaris factory service maunal. It is a life saver[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2003 | 10:07 PM
Range Rover

hello

i have a 2002 that has done this from day 1 . polaris says there isnt a problem and it cannot happen . it is only in the winter . it has had new hillard hubs on both sides , springs , armature plates , bearings , 4wd switch , fluid at least once a month , checked the armature plate gap and even tried mobile one synthetic atf in the hubs . kept in heated garage . funny isnt it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] . i can take it out in the snow and have it do this and then swap the entire hubs from side to side and guess what it still only does this on the right side . now for 95% of the riding i do i take out the old 1998 foreman 450 es and have fun . still under the extended warranty so i take it over on the steep hill by the garage that it wont make it up in the snow and leave it in 2wd and hold it wide open and let it slam the right front from engaged to nonengaged hopeing it will break lots of expensive things and let polaris pay for it . polaris makes a hell of a snowmobile and i love them but i personally dont feel the same way about my quad . i even live in the town that makes the hubs for polaris . 3 winters and 4 different dealers and guess what it still does it .... good luck on your problem [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2003 | 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sorry your having this trouble. This may sound stupid, but have you tried a different set of tires and wheels? A out-of-round wheel, an off spec tire, low air pressure can cause this too. Try swappin front tires and wheels and see if your problem moves to the other side. I know they will be facing backwords, but for this test it's ok. Let us know.

Old 12-10-2003 | 10:41 PM
Range Rover

hello

doesnt make a difference . does it with 2 different sets of 489's , mud lites , and holeshots . also has new front drive shaft and cv shafts .

Old 12-11-2003 | 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

Last thing I can think of is a bad spindle from the factory. Oh, and is there voltage to the armature when there should not be? And if so why?

Old 12-11-2003 | 09:02 PM
Range Rover

no

Quick Reply: 97 scramber 500...Front right wheel still grabs when 4x4 button is not engaged