Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

jetting 500ho polais

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jetting 500ho polais

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] bought 2004 polaris 500ho can someone tell me what kind of speeds you are getting in cold weather with stock jets ?and does it make a differance when you add cold weather jet ? below 40 degress f.

Old 12-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

I ride at 6,000 to 9,000 feet with temperatures going from the 20s in winter to 80s in the summer. I'm still running the stock jets, and it runs fine. I do have to adjust the idle adjustment **** when going up or down in altitude, but that's it. Maybe I could pick up a couple horsepower if I played with it, but speed isn't an issue where I ride.

Old 12-25-2003, 08:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]thanks thats what i ment more housepower when rejetting.speed is not a major concern , I was just looking for how much differance in the cold weather jets and 40 degrees jets you said maybe a coulpe of horsepower ? then its not really worth the time and money to change them? my manual says that it could damage the engine is this true? also has anybody had trouble with the gear shifter there is no ajusment on them. ( what was polais thinking) on my 2004 500ho you have to baby it in to neutral or park .the neutral light will come on and it sounds like the thing is still slightly in gear[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 12-25-2003, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

If you live at sea level, and it's cold out, then the air is especially dense. This could make the air-fuel mixture too lean with stock jets. Being too lean is hard on the engine. It causes it to run hot. I know the manual says it could damage the engine. Personally, I doubt it, but I could be wrong. Lots of folks ride these things in weather much colder than 40 degrees, and I'm sure few actually go through the trouble of rejetting.

For me, I'm running too rich because of high altitude where I ride, but since it runs fine, I don't worry about it.

Doesn't the 2004 Sportsman have an adjustment on the shifter linkage rod? It's a different design that the 2003, but surely the linkage rod is threaded at both ends. Right? I know I had to play with my 2003 because it kept getting stuck in reverse. The dealer eventually replaced the shifter box, and the problem hasn't come back.

Old 12-26-2003, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks again wiley. but no the rod on the shift linkage is cut and crimped at both ends no adjustment what so ever[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] you were right about the jetting. Its about 30 degress here with a couple of inches of snow here. I went for a ride yesterday for about 20min and my engine hot light came on.( its got to be running to lean) I know I have to rejet now If lean make your bike run hot. I Plain on useing this for a lot of ice fishing also. Is there any other way to make it run richer other then rejetting?

Old 12-26-2003, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

I'm actually surprised the engine hot light came on in 30 degree weather.

I don't know any other way to richen the mixture. I've never taken apart the carburetor, but if you go to the Polaris web site, they have exploded views of everything on your machine. Changing the main jet doesn't look too difficult. Using their web site, I also bought the service manual for my machine. That manual is a very nice resource.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks wiley ! whats your opinoin on clutch kits and what brand would you buy?( if you would buy one) thanks for the carb help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I notice you dont have any mods done to your bikes or do you?

Trending Topics

Old 12-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

No, I haven't done anything else to my quads. I'm pretty happy with mine just the way it is. I've got winches on both, and a Glacier Plow system on the Polaris. The Sportsman with a snow plow really kicks butt. Lots of folks here have the clutch kits. Type in a search and you'll get a slew of opinions on the subject, along with how to install them. One of the threads actually has a photo sequence on how to install one.