Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front Fox shock on Scrambler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2000, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody tried Fox Shocks on the Scrambler? what did you think of them. Mine is a 2000 500 4x4 Scrambler with Sachs front shocks and they are stiff, don't rebound or compress right, let me know if you have tried them, thanks0
2-2000 500 4x4 Scrambler
1-2000 400 4x4 Scrambler

Old 06-27-2000, 04:42 AM
JWC
Trailblazer

I put a set an my 98 Explorer 400 4x4. I was bottoming out alot,(6.25in. of travel) Electric wrinch and home made skid plate,and bush gaurd. I took off the stock rack. I think it looks more sporter. The shock changed the damping and rebound alot. but my srings are to weak. I have order progesive adjustable springs. but they are backed order.I heard on the Scr. they are to stiff unless you jump alot. Ihope thi helps. I bought mine from Polaris $320
Polaris 98Explorer 400 4x4
99Scrambler 400 4x4 with moods on both

Old 06-27-2000, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

go500,

I have tried the Fox struts on my Sport and Trailblazer. I think they work the best on the Trailblazer, due in part to it's lighter springs.

I now have a set of Works Performance long travel struts on my Sport. They are superior in the big stuff (jumps, whoops) and are at least equal or better than the Fox struts in the smaller stuff.

I've recently added a long travel front suspension to my older 97 Sport. The difference is astounding. When landing from a jump it felt like landing on a bunch of pillows or a cloud. The Works struts really work!

Old 08-13-2002, 09:59 AM
Trailblazer

mike,
did you experience any topping out with the works shocks? Also, what do you have to do to put the long travel on your 97?
Thanks

Old 08-13-2002, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

hughes,

Replace the A-arms with wider ones from Aaen or Hot Seat to maintain the correct camber on the wheels and that's it. Longer springs and struts are a must. You really don't have to get longer tie rods on the 1997 model, but I did anyway.

No, I never had a problem with the struts topping out on mine.

Old 08-14-2002, 08:49 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. In your opinion do you think it was worth the money?

Old 08-14-2002, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

hughes,

I think so. I am running the Hot Seat dual rate springs on mine in addition to the Works struts. While this isn't exactly the hot setup for jumping (the stock springs are far better for that) It is really plush on the trails and great for general XC riding. If I still had the short travel struts and these soft springs, I would be bottoming all the time. The lighter weight Hot Seat springs also take a lot more of the shock from using heavier ply tires. With the stock springs and Works or Fox struts, you could feel each and every stone in the trail. Now it takes me hitting something really big for me to notice it.

Old 08-14-2002, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks
I think I might try that setup. Aren't the HSP springs adjustable for spring tension? You said the setup isn't the best for jumping. I do a mostly jumping and I was wondering if you knew of a good setup for jumping.

Old 08-14-2002, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

"With the stock springs and Works or Fox struts, you could feel each and every stone in the trail. Now it takes me hitting something really big for me to notice it."

Mike so do you feel that just getting the struts alone aren't worth it? I thought the reason for getting the struts was a plusher ride with the adjustable dampening and that you don't have to feel every rock on the trail? Is it the fact that the stock springs are too stiff or what?

Old 08-14-2002, 12:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Unless you've removed tons of wt, the Hot Seat dual rate springs are the way to go. Like Mike said, the Works units are better than the Fox. Better yet are the HPD units, but they are a very limited build. Also the HPD's are about an inch shorter, to lower your center of gravity. Works could probably work with you on some custom units.

Ken

Quick Reply: Front Fox shock on Scrambler?