Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

modifing 400 scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modifing 400 scrambler

Trail mods, like the others stated, call Rick Ritter.

Race mods....you're probably gonna want to be at this level eventually, so if you have the finances for the initial porting and girdle kit, it would save you money in the long run to just mod once. HPD is your best source here.

For suspension mods, the folks at Hot Seat have some chromoly steering stems, swing-arms, and shock/spring mods that work nicely.

As for reeds....V-force. Don't mess with anything else.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Range Rover

I just saw the dyno for HPd's trail pipe and that thing makes one heck of a difference.....maybe i wont need the race pipe...does that thing work with mild porting anyways?? If i do have rick port my machine its not gonna be to race specs..that and i dont want compresion much higher than stock, should I just stick with the trail pipe then?? It looks promising enough to me

Old 01-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

I have pretty much a Ritter trail mod and it will flat out haul! I can beat all stock machines but the YFZ 450. Man but that thing rips. Piped raptors no problem. Piped banshees about 1/2 length behind. Piped YFZ's forget it. I still haven't got to run a stock or piped pred. For good reliability good power and premium pump gas the trail mod is hard to beat.

Old 01-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Range Rover

Can i just get away with a HPd trail pipe, K&N, and clutch kit?? Ill eventually get it ported...but for now funds dont allow it. I kno for there to be a noticable difference with a race pipe ill need porting atleast. I saw the dyno for the trail pipe and i was very impressed, I liked the trail mod even better. Ive come up with a list for engine mods (in no particular order)...let me kno what you think

HPD trail pipe
k&N
clutch kit
porting RCR
wiseco
head work done RCR
flywheel lightening
bigger carb

i dont think i forgot anything...

Old 01-04-2004, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can definetly do that u dont need to port it, but wen u do get the head shaved at teh same time. i use to just run the hsp pipe not even a clutch kit. talk about no low end

Old 01-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

boondockbasher listen up here. pick one company and stick with it, either choose ritter to do all of your work or hpd to do the work. i have no experience with rick but heard he is excellent i know hpd does good work. i dont know how much you have to spend but if i were you here is what i would do, get the hpd trail pipe+clutching, k+n filter, hpd trail porting, and hpd trail head. this will be a big boost for just around like $500 i think. awesome setup plenty of power for a while. the boring, and piston are an absolute waste of time unless you need a rebuild. also bore the carb while your at it. you want to talk about hard acceleration you will have some fun with that.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

No you don't have to get porting now and yes just a pipe and clutch spring change will make big changes in power. Rick Ritter also sells HPD pipes and clutch parts. His stage one kit with the HPD trail pipe is the best bang for your buck. You don't have to change the piston but with the new pipe it will rev higher and sometimes the stock cast piston skirt will break off causing alot of damage. Just something to consider. You will be satisfied with the pipe but will long for more power later I'm sure.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

Boon, Seriously, I'd call Rick, he'll talk to you personally, you tell him what you want to do and he'll set you up with what is best for what you tell him. I talked to him about my Scrambler, and he suggested the Ritter Mid Range Kit, and at $ 325.00, I don't think you can beat it. I got Ritters own custom pipe and silencer, clutch spring kit, air box mods with air filter, and carb jetting. I do lots of woods riding and it took some getting used to, the kit from Ritter added lots to the power and acceleration. Hell, what have you got to lose by giving him a call.

1992 Polaris 250 2x4 / Oury Grips
1995 Polaris Explorer 400 4x4 / Douglas Aluminum Wheels, Polaris Rear Rack
1997 Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4 / Oury Grips
2002 Polaris Scrambler 400 X 4x4 / Ritter Mid Range Pipe & Silencer, Ritter Clutch Spring, Air Box Mods w/ Air Filter & Carb Jetting, Douglas Aluminum Wheels, Polaris Skid Plate, Polaris A Arm Guards, Polaris Swing Arm Guard, Polaris Rock Guard, Polaris Billet Hub Covers, Hot Seat Billet Fuel Cap, Hot Seat Billet Oil Cap, Hot Seat Desert Grab Bar, Oury Grips
2003 Polaris Trail Blazer Limited Edition 250 / Douglas Aluminum Wheels, Oury Grips, Polaris Skid Plate, Polaris A Arm Guards, Polaris Swing Arm Guard, Polaris Rock Guard
2003 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 / Polaris Aluminum Wheels, Polaris Rock Guard, Polaris A Arm Guards, Polaris Skid plate, Polaris Swing Arm Guard, Oury Grips
1984 Honda Odyssey 250
1985 Honda Odyssey 350 / Aluminum Wheels
1995 Carter Off Road Go Kart
1986 Bar Buggy
2003 Pioneer Club Car

Old 01-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Range Rover

I was gonna call rick anyways about a 500 HO scrambler wiseco...do you know if he has them?

And I dont think needmoretoys actually needs more toys....you should share [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer

how fast can you make these 400s.. I have been thinking about tradeing my bomb on a 400 4X4.. we also have a scrabler 500 and I like it but its got no *****.. I heard somewhere that you can almost get the 400s up to 70HP dont know if thats true or not.. I love my bomb but I do alot of rideing in all conditions and the scrambler seems like the best all around quad out there. it would be nice to be drag racing and playing in the sand then head over and play in the mud without getting stuck all the time and reverse is always a bonus.... but I dont want to have a pooch, our 500 is just SLOW!! thats why I was thinking about getting a 400 and doing some mods to it..

Quick Reply: modifing 400 scrambler