Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 600 front diff engagement

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 600 front diff engagement

I have a 2004.5 Sportsman 600. Probably most of you know this already, but I discovered during the first 100 miles on my new Sportsman and after talking to the dealer, that the reverse override button on the left handlebar doesn't merely engage "on demand" 4WD when you're in reverse. Instead it actually locks all 4 wheels as long as the button is held down in reverse, according to the sales manager and the service tech at my dealer. And my experience seems to bear that out.

Under certain conditions I would like to be able to lock the front wheels selectively via a switch, rather than merely having the front axle in "on demand" mode. In fact, that's the only feature I wish the Sportsman had which it doesn't have; that is, the ability to lock all four wheels full time by flipping a switch. I can do it going backwards and that's great and the thing pulls like a mule uphill in reverse. But I would like to also be able to do it going forward.

So anyway, does anyone make a kit to be able to selectively lock all 4 wheels on a late model Sportsman? I assume it wouldn't be too hard to do if you had the schematics and the know how. Just figure out a way to make it behave in forward like it does in reverse when the reverse override switch is pressed, with the addition of another button and possibly also the alteration of a chip. Anyone make such a kit?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

ive read somewhere in these forums i dont know how to do it myslef but you can hook up your override switch to your 4x4 system so that it is always in 2x4 until you hit the overide button then your front wheels are locked in. sorry i really dont know more about this but if you talk to BBS he would probablly know something about this. he is quite knowledgable.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Range Rover

Do a search and you will find that it cannot be done b/c the actual "engagement" of the front hilliard is a mechanical process not an electrical one. Your dealer is incorrect; the rear wheels must still spin before 4wd engages; it just happens so quickly that it appears that way.

Good link

Old 01-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

Pest44 is correct. No way to electronically do it. I have had the AWD stay locked in momentarily. After backing up a hill with the override on (and AWD switch on) , and then immediately going forward, a lot of times the clutch will not disengage and you will have all 4 wheels locked in as you go forward. It will stay locked in until something causes the driveline to unload (like blipping the throttle and releasing it quickly) and release the hubs. That is as close as you get to locked in 4wd... but be warned, it handles like crap on dry trails.... it won't turn.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies and for all of the info. Much appreciated!

I really can't complain anyway about not being able to selectively lock in the front. It already goes pretty much anywhere I want to go and have any business going, and some places I don't. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Range Rover

Good question chestnut. I asked this same question before. The link that I posted above once contained a link to the response that I got when I did ask the question, but yesterday the link was no good anymore. Maybe that thread got archived over at ATVNation or something. If I can ever find it, I'll post it again b/c it explains the system quite well. I wished there was a way to do it for a couple of reasons. 1.) The quad would then have 4 wheel engine braking and 2.) There are times that I would like the front wheels to be able to "pull" the quad instead of having the back wheels push it before 4wd engages. For 90% of the time the current setup works fine for me; it's just those few times that I wish it was a little different.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

That would be my only complaint too with the Polaris AWD system. 95% it's perfect... allows you to have a fully locked ATV when you need it and then give you back your steering when you get out of the mud hole. But, 5% of the time you want and NEED all 4 wheels to turn right away, right now. I am in the process of working on a hub/clutch mod that might achieve this... almost like a lock out hub design on 4wd trucks. If it works right, it will only work on the old style clutch (out board hubs... not the inner types of the 600 and 700 and the new 400 and 500 SPs).

Old 01-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: pest44
I wished there was a way to do it for a couple of reasons. 1.) The quad would then have 4 wheel engine braking and 2.) There are times that I would like the front wheels to be able to "pull" the quad instead of having the back wheels push it before 4wd engages. For 90% of the time the current setup works fine for me; it's just those few times that I wish it was a little different.
Pest,

I feel exactly the same way that you do about the Polaris AWD system. Well said. And thanks again for your replies to this thread.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

Hey man, you're welcome. I've learned more about ATV's on these message boards (there's more. If you want some links email me at pest44@hotmail.com. This site won't allow links to some of them) than I ever could have on my own. hey Polaridoo, keep us posted on your project.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

I don't why you feel that you need them locked. When you are on a slippery surface like ice, snow, mud, etc., and nail the throttle, it reacts so quickly that you can't tell it isn't locked. I mean, the front wheels react like they are locked anyway. At least that's what I notice on my 600. It's a brilliant design that only Polaris has. Ever notice on full-size trucks and SUVs? Only the higher end models have the AWD option: Escalade, Yukon Denali, Tahoe LT, etc.

When you go into a mud hole and come out, with the AWD, you don't have to stop, unlock the front diff, and resume, you can just keep cruising.

Just my opinion.

Have a good day all,

SP600towtruck

Quick Reply: Sportsman 600 front diff engagement