Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 600 front diff engagement

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 600 front diff engagement

You are mostly correct, but I can give you some scenarios where I needed it. Here is one: I was on a snowy, hard-packed, off chambered hill side... traversing it. Came to a stop to check on the riders behind me. When I got on the gas again to go forward (keep in mind this was really slippery), the back tires spun first as you would expect, and the second they spun, they starting sliding down the trail instead of pushing me forward. Had all 4 wheels been locked to begin with, they probably would have had enough pull and made me move forward instead of sliding downhill. The reason I know that the front wheels would have made the difference is because right after the rear tires spun and starting sliding down hill, the fronts engaged and started pulling me back up the trail again and finally back on to the trail, but it was a little hairy to say the least. Trust me though, I like there system better than any other - just would like to control the AWD more at times. There is no other ATV for me either... not bashing Polaris here at all... Hell, I have 4 of them in my garage and 2 of thier PWCs, so I definitely believe in them.

Old 01-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Range Rover

Polaridoo hit the nail on the head. The type situation he mentioned is exactly what I meant when I said that I would like for the front wheels to "pull" the quad at times. Sometimes I just need to be able to ease the throttle and allow them to pull me up and out of a situation, but the way the 4wd works, it's hard to do. In mud, trail riding, and most all the other situations, it works wonderfully.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

In my situation, sometimes I have to crawl uphill at slow speeds due to the steep slope of the hill and the type of rough terrain. In these slow speed 'crawling' situations, my 600 doesn't seem to bite as well with all fours as it does when you have the wheels turning a wee bit faster.

Maybe I'm misreading what's going on but it sure seems that the AWD system is not as effective at engaging the front axle in slow speed crawling situations, not only in off camber side-of-the-hill situations but also going straight ahead up steep trails.

But having said that, I have to say that I love the Polaris system and have absolutely no regrets in getting one. I think it's the best drivetrain out there, between the independant F&R suspension and on demand AWD.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know what oil I need for an 04 Sportsman 600 front diff?

Old 09-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Polaris Demand Drive Plus hub fluid for hub activated and also for centralized drive awd machines like your 600. If you're an Amsoil type guy they have an equivalent type fluid for this as some have said.

Attached Thumbnails Sportsman 600 front diff engagement-demand-drive-plus.jpg