Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator HPD Thumb Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator HPD Thumb Throttle

Just a tip to those who want to run the smooth HPD billet thumb throttle. The current cable offering isn't compatible w/ the stock Predator carb. Darryll is soooo busy w/ motor mods (da cams are coming soon), that getting around to a custom cable probably isn't in the works just yet. I might try to work that one out for him, seeing how I have a spare one in the shop. Like any mod on these machines, sometimes things take a bit of time, and some "mods on the mods" to get them to work. I've run this throttle on my Sport for a couple of years now.....I hate using anything else, it's soooo smooth. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2004, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

It's funny you should write about this Modquad, beacause, I just put that Very same throttle on my Predator last night. IT's true,Hpd dosen't have a cable for it.SO what I did is cut back the stock cable about half way to the ajustment thing and then cut the piece that goes into the thottle rigt down the middle (long ways) so the cable would fit inside it(just like a clutch cablefittig).I used a piece of rubber boot for another cable to cover the slit I put it the piece i cut.
The only problem I ran into is,I had to reroute the cable from in front of the steetring post support to behined it.
The reason for that was because, i Thought that it was to tight after I cut it shorter.
Anyway It worked and looks great
IT's nothing that you can't handle MODQUAD (IT's all you)
Give it hell and Please come out with a better easier fix because I really don't want to cut back stock cables everytime i need a new cable.
THANK YOU
Matt @ TEAM BRICKTUCKY

Old 01-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

their's one on Ebay right now. It's currently going for $32

Old 01-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I was going to do the same modification, but after studying the transition, I'm going to opt for either a 45 or 90 degree elbow to hopefully decrease the harshness of the turn, and increase cable life. I'll relay that info to Darryll once it's complete. If you pop open the cover and give the internals a periodic squirt of my favorite Tri-flow, these things become glass smooth. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

YES, THEY ARE GLASS SMOOTH. I noticed on my scrammy,no matter want Lube I used I still went though alot of cables.
They seemed to brake at the roller or the start of the throttle piece. I hope it don't go though that with this one on my PRED. Oh,yeah I did lube it everytime I washed it (every weekend-give or take)Thats alot of lube and it still broke.Maybe I have a heavy thumb!
Also the stops on the throttle don't go in far enough so,that could have been the problem.
ON the predator I found a Nice machine screw that was long enough to work as a stop in the throttle.Maybe that will help in not braking the cable.
ALL WHO USE THIS MAKE SURE YOU FIND A SCREW TO WORK AS A STOP---The preds throttle dosen't travel as far as the HPD throttle will throw.

MATT

"WHAT the f--k"--- IT's ONLY DIRT!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

On the Sport, I only lube it maybe 2 or 3 times a year, and I'm still on the original couple of year old cable.

Old 01-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

YEAH< my Frist cable that came with the throttle lasted over a year with very litle lube.After it broke, got a new cable and it didn't last long . after getting another cable I noticed that it was alittle different for the frist one .
maybe the newer cables were not as good as the frist,but anyway i rerouted the cable and this one seems fine now, for about 1/2 year.
I think it will be more then o.k on the pred.After all it won't have to travel as far on the pred.
SEE YA
MATT

Whats The Big DEAL!! IT's Only Dirt!!!