Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I need some mechanic advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some mechanic advice

will it run with the choke on .if u take the carb off try to use compressed air to blow air through the carb a little through the fuel inlet . or u could take the jetts out . they are easy to take out with a small flat top screw driver . the jets are brass so be carefull. use a lamp & look through the holes in the jets .also try to blow through them .check the operation of the the float ,needle & seat . The problem u have could also have nothing to do with the thing running out of gas . is there a throttle safety switch on the bike . is it operating . water in the fuel is the only other thing i could think of right now

Old 01-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

your quad is getting too much oil. the same thing happened to mine

Old 01-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

So you think my quad is getting to much oil...well I did change my oil not to long ago...so whats the deal..just drain some oil out??? I can't work on it untill this weekend..but I'll try the oil first then I'll mess with the jets and make sure they are clean...but ya it idles fine..with choke...without choke it will idle for about 5 minutes then die....but its just when I give it some gas..it wants to die..I can't give it any gas at all.

Old 01-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

When idling the fuel is sucked out of the bowl theu the idle jet. When you give it gas the air is still sucked in but the idle jet wont let enough fuel into the stream. The main jet is prolly clogged.
I'm not familiar with polaris but if it has an auto oil inject it would probably spray too much oil since there isnt the right amount of gas mixing.

Old 01-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

This is not a two-stroke machine. Don't worry about the oil.

Remove the air cleaner, start it up, then put your hand over the intake. try to block the air and still give it gas little by little. This will cause an excess of fuel to rush through the carb and flush any small debris from the circuits.

It does sound a little like cam issues if this doesn't help.

Old 01-22-2004, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, the cam could be the issue, but he says the machine was running fine, then ran out of gas, then wouldnt run right.
Sorry about not knowing it was a 4 stroke.

Old 01-23-2004, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

From my experience, the comment "it was running fine... then the next time I started it up it would do nothing more than idle" usually ends up being camshaft failure on the polaris 4 strokes. Even though it was run out of gas, Quadracer18 says he has gotten it to run at an idle - changed the plug, cleaned the air filter, and drained the carb - later on he says it will run for 5 minutes or more at an idle. The fuel pump is more than primed by now, and we all hope that it is something simple such as trash in the fuel circuits, but at the same time he could spend a lot of unnecessary time trying to resolve a carb issue that doesn't exist. By all means clean the carb out and if it does not work after that, then Quadracer18 has a second option to approach.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer

its not the cam and i doubt it is dirt in the carb when they run out or gas it takes a very long time to get the fuel pump primed.

Old 01-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: riderrideshard
its not the cam and i doubt it is dirt in the carb when they run out or gas it takes a very long time to get the fuel pump primed.
I very much agree with rider rides hard! My wifes trail boss..325 4 stroke ran out of gas on the trail near the street. I rode back to camp and grabbed the truck and gas can, the trailer was un hooked. I keep a tow strap in the back all the time. After I added fuel, still would not run enough to ride it back to camp. I had my wife drive the truck and I left the bike in gear for a test. As we got up to about 10 mph or so I hit the starter it started to run a bit, but like quadracer said it wanted to backfire and sputter for about 1 min or so, but it could not die because the clutches were being spun by the speed of the truck/wheeler, kind of like the engine braking system, I hope you follow me. Anyway, with the help of the ebs keeping the engine speed up above idle, it cleaned itself out and was running pefect in less than a minute at this higher engine speed......This is not the right way to prime the fuel system, but it worked for us!

Maybe someone can tell you a better way to prime the fuel system, but I would lay money on this as the problem!

Old 01-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

my throttle cable was messed up and was giving the motor too much oil

Quick Reply: I need some mechanic advice