Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I need some mechanic advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some mechanic advice

Heres the situation...I have a scrammy 500. Its been in my shop for quite a while now..it all started when I ran out of gas and ever since then it hasn't been running..well I replaced the spark plug and recharged my k&n air filter..well I finally got it running but the things is is that it idles perfect but when I start to give it some throttle it wants to backfire and die..I'm trying to keep from taking it to someone if its something I can fix..but I've been messing with it for a while..so send me some ideas if you have it..I need to ride!!...........thanks..quadracer18

Old 01-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

If the only thing that happened was it ran out of gas there should't be much wrong. Try cleaning out your carb. It may have sucked some dirt out of the tank.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

I live in cincinnati right outside of lawrenceburg and my parents live in St. Leon thats where i do most of my riding. this spring we should hook up..
sorry about that quadracer18 it sounds like a carb prob i would take it off and clean it real well..

Old 01-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer

the first thing i would do is check for fuel going to carb . if there is a flow of fuel giong to the carb . check for fuel in the bowl of the carb. is there fuel coming out of the tanks fuel tap. is gas on the plug, is the plug wet when u check it.check for spark on the plug while u have it out. one way to see if u have a gas flow problem is to prime the cylinder pour a little fuel down through the intake of the air cleaner . & try to start it. if it starts & stalls then u know u have spark . the only thing left is fuel & air . this could be restricted in the carb or mabey the fuel pump is not working .pull the fuel line off the pump . does it pump the fuel . if not is there fuel going in to the pump . if u answer some of these questions i can tell u what is wrong .

let us know how u make out , hope i was some help to u

Old 01-20-2004, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

...To muddymagnum~~~~~..well I went out and checked some things..I first unhooked the gas line that lead into my fuel pump...gas leaked out so its going in the pump...then I unhooked the gas line were it hooked into the pump and led to the carb.. gas came out of that..then I unhooked the line where it went into the carb and gas came out there also. I already cleaned the carb out so thats not dirty....I did check for spark and I do have spark....so I'm wondering if it has to do with the fuel or air...getting to much/to little..but I don't know I'm not a master mechanic..So hopefully that gives you a little bit more info..because I'm really lost on this..but you sound like you know what the heck your talking about so I'm listenin and waiting for some feed back..Thanks a bunch.

Old 01-20-2004, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

Just becuase you have gas flowing, doesn't mean the engine is getting it. Pull the bottom of your carb bowl off and spray carb cleaner through all the jets to make sure there isn't a speck of dirt caught in a jet..that is what will cause the fuel problem...such as the main jet. At idle, fuel only goes through the pilot jet and also is regulated by the fuel screw...but if dirt is anywhere else, it will be robbed of fuel and die.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

pudljumpr............Ok, so I need to take the bottom off the carb bowl and spray some carb cleaner...is there any certain type of carb cleaner that I should use???? I plan on hopefully getting to work on it in the next few days..so I'll give that a shot....but is there specail carb cleaner I should use or not??? Thanks for the info..I need all I can get right now..thanks

Old 01-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

Try starting it with the rope - if there feels like a lot of excessive compression and kickback then I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I would pop the valve cover off and check the lift on the exhaust valves - kinda exhibits the symptoms like the exhaust lobe is gone on the camshaft.

ps - when you are pulling the rope and it is REALLY hard, don't keep trying or you will be replacing a $20+ rope - been there, done that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer

i ran mine out of gas once and it took forever to get the fuel pump bleed out ,just keep it running with the choke on for a while it should clear up.you should not get dirt in the carb when you have a fuel filter on it

Old 01-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

sounds to me like a clogged jet. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: I need some mechanic advice