Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LOUD PIPES

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOUD PIPES

The sound travels back away from the bike and your direction of travel, it's also louder behind you because of the Doppler effect (can't argue with that)...If you're trying to keep someone from hitting where you were then I'd agree but I have a hard time believing that "loud pipes save lives". I might can take it if you're in a car's blind spot but you should know if you're in a blind spot and not dawdle there....pass the car or slow down. I believe safe and alert riders/drivers save lives---come to think of it, I've probably seen more crashes with "loud" bikes than with something like a GoldWing....

I like my pipe for the sound not the loudness...same with my truck, I could've put straight pipes on it (Dodge Ram w/360) but didn't want to be obnoxious so I too went with the Flowmaster pipes.....much better sounding, not nearly as loud.

Not to start an argument, it's just that I don't buy into the loud pipe theory.

Old 02-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LOUD PIPES

im trying to figure out which aftermarket pipe to buy, i do not want a super loud pipe(they suck and ur ears will ring forever)

Old 02-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default LOUD PIPES

Originally posted by: RookWV
The sound travels back away from the bike and your direction of travel, it's also louder behind you because of the Doppler effect (can't argue with that)...If you're trying to keep someone from hitting where you were then I'd agree but I have a hard time believing that "loud pipes save lives". I might can take it if you're in a car's blind spot but you should know if you're in a blind spot and not dawdle there....pass the car or slow down. I believe safe and alert riders/drivers save lives---come to think of it, I've probably seen more crashes with "loud" bikes than with something like a GoldWing....

I like my pipe for the sound not the loudness...same with my truck, I could've put straight pipes on it (Dodge Ram w/360) but didn't want to be obnoxious so I too went with the Flowmaster pipes.....much better sounding, not nearly as loud.

Not to start an argument, it's just that I don't buy into the loud pipe theory.
Well I can kinda agree with your statement, but I also disagree. You can hear a loud bike behind you. In fact, when I ride with my dad, he is in front. His pipes are tuned for his engine, so they are significantly quietier then even my old ones. When we are riding and get on the throttle some, he tells me that he can even hear my bike from behind him. I am a very cautious rider, especially since being new to the game. But the people out on the rode just dont pay attention!!! Its rediculas!!! I am a FIRM believer in loud pipes save lives. Especially if you are on a smaller bike like mine. If you were on a dresser or a goldwing, thoses things are HUGE and are a lot easier to see. But I seem to be invisible out on the road. So I want them to hear me. I have personally seen the effects of louder pipes when I put my tuned pipes on. People were more aware of me. Still doesnt mean that I wasnt constanly getting cut off, but it wasnt as bad as when I had the quiet pipes on. Now I have custom drag pipes (Straight pipes). They are loud as hell!!! However, they are too loud even for my taste. Thats whjy I am going to quiet them down with some baffles.

Ohh, Rook, also wanted to say that you are a very wise man for going with the Flowmasters[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Nothing can hold a candle to the sound of a Flowmaster. Many try, but it just cant be done[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default LOUD PIPES

Well I can kinda agree with your statement, but I also disagree. You can hear a loud bike behind you. In fact, when I ride with my dad, he is in front. His pipes are tuned for his engine, so they are significantly quietier then even my old ones. When we are riding and get on the throttle some, he tells me that he can even hear my bike from behind him. I am a very cautious rider, especially since being new to the game. But the people out on the rode just dont pay attention!!!

Ohh, Rook, also wanted to say that you are a very wise man for going with the Flowmasters[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Nothing can hold a candle to the sound of a Flowmaster. Many try, but it just cant be done[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Well, it's easier to hear with just a helmet on, especially a half helmet than being inside a car with the radio on....but the bottom line is that people just don't pay enough attention.

Yeah, I really like the sound of the Flowmasters---I looked around and listened to a lot of trucks....the only thing I wish I had done was get bigger tips (but the ones I have now are showing some skin rust so I might talk myself into getting bigger ones but on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

Old 02-07-2004, 12:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default LOUD PIPES

Stainless Steel baby!!!!!! But yes I agree, life would be a lot simpler if people would just pay more attention

Old 02-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default LOUD PIPES

i read that if you are lost in a big forest that the people that are looking for you can hear you if you rev your motor

Old 02-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default LOUD PIPES

DG is loud!

Old 02-08-2004, 02:26 AM
Range Rover
Default LOUD PIPES

ya'll need a loud pipe? just take a hammer to the fu*kin exhaust and see how loud that $hit will get, that motherfu*ker will save millions of lives!

Old 02-08-2004, 02:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default LOUD PIPES

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Whoa buddy!!! Whats with the profanity????

Old 02-08-2004, 02:41 AM
Range Rover
Default LOUD PIPES

just spicein up things [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: LOUD PIPES