Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Crash coarse!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2000, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Xplor,

I had an RcR Stage 1 kit on my Sport. I never could get the silencer to fit tightly on the pipe, also, the pipe started rusting right away. Don't get me wrong, the power/speed increase was amazing, I was just disappointed in the fit and finish. I then talked to my local mechanic, he said just changing the primary spring wasn't doing enough, that I needed the new weights and both springs. So, I gave the RcR pipe to a buddy, kept the air-box mods, and put on a new HPD nickel pipe with the spark arrestor silencer, clutch kit, and reeds. The new pipe/silencer from HPD is a lot quieter, it has a killer, deep, throaty sound. The power difference from the Stage 1 kit to the HPD is quite substantial. I believe the whole clutch kit is needed. I also feel you would be amazed at what a pipe would do for your quad.

Old 07-09-2000, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Think I will call HPD tomorrow!

Sounds like power!!!!!!

Old 07-10-2000, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

How much is the hpd pipe setup ?

Old 07-10-2000, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

You can get a standard pipe for $190, the nickel plated one is $230. A silencer is $69, $130 for the spark arrestor silencer. Clutch kits are $80.

Old 07-10-2000, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

I just called HPD today and they were very helpfull. I talked to Darrel for about 45 minutes. His pipe and clutch kit setup sound awesome. He even started to convince me to send in parts for porting.

He told me that with the mods I have now I would have to junk the EPI clutch kit and get the HPD. Also stated that I would lose no low end and gain tremendously in midrange and a lot of top. This sound about right to you Quadfather?? I find my Scram cool now...can't wait to try this out.

They were all very friendly at HPD and even gave me a lot of info on why my ride doesn't wheelie or spin too much. Cool

Old 07-10-2000, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

I lost nothing. I think I gained tremendous amounts of low end and mid-range. I don't know about the topend, I cant hold the throttle down long enough to tell. I'll make you a deal Xplor, if you're not happy with your kit, I'll UPS you my ex-wife. She's very pleasing to the eyes, but will send you to the poor house keeping her in Gin. I'd spend a little extra on the nickel plated pipe, it looks incredible.

Old 07-10-2000, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Rather than spend a bunch of dough for a clutch kit, you may just get the Plain color code primary ( Or the HPD 6 Plain Spring for a lower RPM initial engagement ) and a Violet Secondary spring. I haven't played with helixes yet, so I have no experience or opinions.
I have NO TROUBLE getting the front tires airborne.

Old 07-10-2000, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Would the nickel plated pipe look good even with the stock silencer? I am keeping it to keep noise down. Darell even told me that the new pipe would be no more noisy than the stock one. Plus I hear that his silencer doesn't give much more power than stock.

Quadfather...you say you lost nothing...but did you already have a clutch kit in before installing the pipe and all?

Old 07-10-2000, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

When I first bought the quad the front end came up a lot. But it had a somewhat "weak" feeling to it. (Kept gettin' stuck in holes) Only when I punched the throttle did it feel more like a sport quad. Maybe I have a tolerance to power...LOL Since I had the clutch kit and Reeds put in, no more lift... but the quad "feels" 20x stronger and more manageable at lower speeds. But I need more!

HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR SETUP CAPTNEMO?
All I need to match is the pipe, clutch kit and reed spacers...are the spacers worth it over just the reeds? Does your machine have good low end, mid and top? Let me know.

I wish I were more mechanically inclined so I could adjust and tweak my machine to meet my needs perfectly! Till then I will add mods, ride it a while, go back to mechanic all the time and pay him to tweak it! One of these days!

The dealers should have a fully trail modded quad so us buyers could know how it feels...make us spend some more money!

Old 07-10-2000, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

The silencer is mainly to shave weight off the bike. A stock Polaris silencer weighs about the same as a manhole cover. I'm not sure if you can use the stock silencer with the HPD pipe. I would toss it in any case. I used the HPD MSA spark arrestor silencer, it's not much louder than stock. It sound really nice as well. I had the HPD plain spring in before, you get that with the RcR kit. There is quite a difference in the two clutch kits. With the HPD kit, you get new clutch weights and two springs, as well as some other parts. Again, big difference.

Quick Reply: Crash coarse!