Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Crash coarse!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2000, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a simple set of questions. I should know this stuff by now but need some clarification. I own a Scrambler400. It lacked in low end grunt and midrange acceleration so I added an EPI clutch kit, V-Force 2 reed valve and Uni filter. The difference is like night and day. Mudding is fun now...

But is it because of these specific mods that my front end won't wheelie any more? Does more low end and midrange = less front end lift (top)? Don't get me wrong, I love the acceleration and torque of my machine now...but can't get the front end up!? Is it one or the other?
Last question: What mods have what effect exactly? Can you get great low-end plus midrange and still have amazing top? Or is it one or the other? I was thinking of putting my Scram on the pipe, but not sure what the finished ride would be like. I do not want to give up any low or mid, but gain in top end and acceration...possible? Does more noise really equal more power? From what I have read in these forums I am interested in the HPD pipe and silencer.

As you can see I need a crash course in "power output"... I know a lot of you in here have extensive mods to your quads and any help would be appreciated.

I was told a few months back that speed and power are addictive...they were absolutely right!!!

Old 07-04-2000, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

After i put the mods on mine the only place it will wheelie is pavement it spins every where else. Or if it catches a root on a trail it will lift.
Welcome to the power addiction club.

Old 07-07-2000, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

Nobody else knows anything???

Old 07-09-2000, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Xplor, it sounds like you have all the right parts in, short of a pipe. The HPD was the better pipe ( in my opinion )as it follwed factory pipe routing, and allowed the use of the stock silencer / spark arrestor if you want to keep it a little quieter, or save a few bucks.
Which springs came in your EPI clutch kit? The clutch probably has more control over power delivery, and wheelie ability. My 2x4 will carry the wheels all day long, just feed it throttle and it's skyward.

Old 07-09-2000, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Does the HPD pipe add a lot of noise? Will it also affect low end and ridability? I am not sure of the springs...I will check. Plus does it really add a lot to performance and speed???

Old 07-09-2000, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

If you add an HPD pipe to your quad, you will be amazed. I put on the nickel plated pipe and forestry approved spark arrestor silencer, as well as the clutch kit and reeds. I had to get used to the power burst in order not to pull the front wheels.

Old 07-09-2000, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

It sounds to me like you are "overpowering" your tires. More torque (to the ground) should make it easier to wheelie, not harder, assuming you have traction. You probably have so much TQ that you are breaking traction before it has time to lift the front end.
Later,

Old 07-09-2000, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

If your talking to me it willpower wheelie and sometimes it will pop it in the grass. I heard if I put holeshot or razr for hardpack it will get rid of the traction prob

Old 07-09-2000, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Cobra...I don't think it's a traction problem cus I have Bearclaws in the back. I find that they don't even roost very much. Is it possible to have to much torque?? I know the clutch kit is set to give a lot of low end and the V-Force2 reed valve is on the first setting for the most torque. Maybe I should reajust the settings then add the pipe...What do you think?

I'm hesitant because at the dealer I tried a sport400 with a pipe and silencer and I could not even hear myself scream when I was on the quad. That would not be fun in the woods on a nice calm day! Plus it had absolutely no low end. The power only kicked in at very hard throttle. Mine kicks it up to about 40 then feels like it winds out fast. Plus when I come up to a bump thats jumpable, the front end just doesn't want to lift. My Xplorer gets better front end lift.For a few hundred bucks canadian for that pipe, I dont want to make a mistake.
I really do need a crash coarse!!!

Old 07-09-2000, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Quadfather! Did you do all your mods at the same time? (reeds, pipe, silencer and clutch kit)

Quick Reply: Crash coarse!