Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

man guys i got a problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default man guys i got a problem

Well im gonna give it a shot.

Me and my friend are trying to fix his quad, Well we got it running for alittle bit and after 20 to 30 mins the quad wants to die we took the carb off and cleaned it, Well my dad was helping us one day and he said take out the spark plug and pull it and see if u flooded it well we did and a bunch of gas poured out of the spark plug hole, so about 3 days later i got out and the spark plug is out i bearly turn over the engine *BTW THE GAS IS OFF* and gas pours out of it again what could this be i was thinking the floats but i dont kno anymore im stumped, If anyone could help that would be very very very great[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

He really hasnt rode his quad since october but we had it running 4 or 5 times before it started to do this.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

The first thing I noticed was you said the gas was off - do you have a problem with the fuel valve? - is OFF really off? It may need a new shut off valve (around $20).

The cylinder full of gas does indicate either a bad/dirty/sticking float needle or the float height is not right - one other cause for this would be a carburetor vent line plugged (not being able to "breath" will actually hold the floats down causing the fuel to continue to run). Check the carb out - you can "bench test" the float level with the carb in your hand by running the fuel line outside the bike and using the gas tank for your fuel supply. You may have to get a longer fuel line to do this, but it is much easier than jacking the carb on and off the engine each time, until it is "just right".

You also need to drain the crankcase - pull the skid plate and there is a 10mm drain plug, kind of in the bottom-center of the engine, with this much fuel in the engine, you may need to pull the exhaust pipe and drain the fuel out of it too.

Because of the amount of fuel you have in the engine - I would suggest once the carb is straightened out - drain the fuel out of the gas tank and put about a quart of some oil rich gas mix (32:1?), as the raw gas has most likely washed all the lubrication out of your engine - when you start the engine, don't pound on it - let it idle for a bit to re-lubricate things.

Old 02-17-2004, 12:24 PM
Range Rover

I agree, sounds like the carb is just dumping fuel into the motor. Bad needle valve?

Old 02-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Range Rover

What bike is it a 500 or a 400. If it is a 500 it could be a bad fuel pump. But the fuel shutoff valve sounds bad and not shuting off the fuel totally. But that is just a part of the problem.
Dennis

Old 02-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

How does the powermaxx setup run compared to the stroker you build? Would the powermaxx be a better all around setup for riding and drag racing?

Old 02-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was a betten man I would say you have a vent problem.Run it with the gas cap loose and see if it still does it.

Old 02-18-2004, 12:43 AM
Range Rover

The power max set up is good for someone who is starting from scratch. But how many of us did that ?
Most of us allready have the billet head and a good pipe and a ported cylinder and reads and lightened flywheel. as for compared to it they both run great my stroker puts 5 less HP at the crank than the power max but puts out 10 more foot pounds torque. For the money the stroker is the best.