Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400ex vs Pred

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex vs Pred

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
Ok guys and girls, thanks for all of the advise. I guess I am going to have to practice some, although I'm pretty good at shifting right before the rev limiter now. I have one last question, how do you think my Predator will stand against a YZF450?? A kid has one of these too, but I am just wondering, I probably wont stand a chance to that. It is totally stock. One more question, does anyone have their carb done by doug nicholas yet?? I was just wondering if you guys had noticed the huge improvement!! anyways, im leaving tomarrow at 8am so i guess i'll find out soon enough. Thanks Brad
Doug is doing to do ours, he is one of our sponsors I have heard nothing but GOOD from him and others about it. Its a tough call on beating the YFZ again, its going to come down to rider, alot will argue with this but ill beperfectly honest with you, IMO most of the time, the YFZ will beat it STOCK FOR STOCK, With a few mods ,it will be alot harder and then yes... You can beat it if thats what you REALLY want it for is Drag racing then I would lighten it, throw a HP piston , Vortex ect...Have you dealt with Doug yet?? You cant find a nicer guy to get info from . We do almost ALL our business with him. He knoes a ton about the Predator[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Tina

Old 02-19-2004, 08:13 AM
Trailblazer
Default 400ex vs Pred

to beat the yfz you have todial in your rear shocks for traction. they are tough but they can be beat

Old 02-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex vs Pred

Originally posted by: alkypred
to beat the yfz you have todial in your rear shocks for traction. they are tough but they can be beat
Boy, you hit it on the nose there!! That wheel spin pisses me off sometimes!! On lose drier dirt especially with those Razors, they spin and dont hook until about third gear.... Im curious how our Groomed turf Tamers wqill do on the flattrack thi wk end hoping for some more grab to them now and Hoosiers on the front. I submitted some vids here of a PRed vs YFZ in a hillshoot, but for some reason it hasnt been put up yet......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2004, 02:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 400ex vs Pred

Hey I just got back from little sahara, and on Friday I was the fastest out there, but that soon changed on Saturday. The banshees started to kick my ***. I was able to beat a pretty stock yfz450 by about 2 links, and a few banshees, and the z400 by a lot, even a few closely modded preds. I even beat a raptor. But it was fun for a while anyway, until all of the banshees started to win[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Tina, my dealer is Doug, he is about 15 miles away from my house, so I do a lot of dealing with him!! He is very nice, and also very intelligent when it comes to fast Polaris's. Anyways, that was the trip. Brad

Old 02-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex vs Pred

Hey I just got back from little sahara, and on Friday I was the fastest out there, but that soon changed on Saturday. The banshees started to kick my ***. I was able to beat a pretty stock yfz450 by about 2 links, and a few banshees, and the z400 by a lot, even a few closely modded preds. I even beat a raptor. But it was fun for a while anyway, until all of the banshees started to win[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Tina, my dealer is Doug, he is about 15 miles away from my house, so I do a lot of dealing with him!! He is very nice, and also very intelligent when it comes to fast Polaris's. Anyways, that was the trip. Brad
Keep workin on those Shees!!!! Ours has beat alot, but a few modded ones kicked some butt on ours too though...If you see Doug anytime soon, tell him Troy just won the Flattrack championship this wk end on the Predator(well Troy the kids and I won the series in each of our classes!)

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Now time for some TT and MX. Sounds like you had a good wk end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex vs Pred

Stock for stock the Pred will beat a yfz. Others may try to convince you other wise, but even with the lid off and the pea shooter pulled out the yfz is just not making as much hp as the Pred. Check out the article in the Oct.03' issue of Dirtwheels if you don't believe me. Now throw in some corners and some doubles, and its a whole different ball game. As Tina and others have said the pred spins too much, and has had too many donuts(412lbs) to hang with the yfz(350lbs).

Tina out on the flat tracks you know better than most of us on here that how fast you get around the course has SOOO much more to do with set-up than motor. Although I do agree that some bikes can come from the factory faster than others, a properly set-up quad will flat out SMOKE a poorly set-up quad in lap times. My buddy has a Duncan built banshee 375ish(he's had to bore it out a couple times) that he ran in TT's, and Chad Lohr flat out STOMPED him on a stock cc 250r. MAN was he MAD!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But again it all comes down to bike set-up and as you said rider ability. Now we can't wait to hear how bad you make those 440's look with that 426 you got [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex vs Pred

Originally posted by: Flynbryan
Stock for stock the Pred will beat a yfz. Others may try to convince you other wise, but even with the lid off and the pea shooter pulled out the yfz is just not making as much hp as the Pred. Check out the article in the Oct.03' issue of Dirtwheels if you don't believe me. Now throw in some corners and some doubles, and its a whole different ball game. As Tina and others have said the pred spins too much, and has had too many donuts(412lbs) to hang with the yfz(350lbs).

Tina out on the flat tracks you know better than most of us on here that how fast you get around the course has SOOO much more to do with set-up than motor. Although I do agree that some bikes can come from the factory faster than others, a properly set-up quad will flat out SMOKE a poorly set-up quad in lap times. My buddy has a Duncan built banshee 375ish(he's had to bore it out a couple times) that he ran in TT's, and Chad Lohr flat out STOMPED him on a stock cc 250r. MAN was he MAD!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But again it all comes down to bike set-up and as you said rider ability. Now we can't wait to hear how bad you make those 440's look with that 426 you got [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Yes.. A set will make or break you on a track for sure!! I race a Vforce, 440ex, Raptors ect....and with the way they are set up, mine stays planted and can hold a line like you wouldnt believe!!! Rider is sooooo crusial as well.Power isnt everything. Rider and Performance IS Everything......... I cant wait to see it at the dunes this summer!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 400ex vs Pred

Hey tina, thanks for all of the advice and information. I have a simple question for you, I know you do a lot of racing so I was wondering if you experience this or if anyone else does. I ride pretty hard, and when I ride I hold on to the tank hard with my knees, and that little black piece of plastic rubs on my knees. It really hurts after a while, do you do the same?? Some people dont get that problem, but I guess I'm just weird, or have a different riding style. Brad

Old 02-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex vs Pred

Hey tina, thanks for all of the advice and information. I have a simple question for you, I know you do a lot of racing so I was wondering if you experience this or if anyone else does. I ride pretty hard, and when I ride I hold on to the tank hard with my knees, and that little black piece of plastic rubs on my knees. It really hurts after a while, do you do the same?? Some people dont get that problem, but I guess I'm just weird, or have a different riding style. Brad
Maybe your just Taller[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] no problems with that issue.Hope someone can help answer it for ya.........

Old 02-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex vs Pred

Originally posted by: Flynbryan
Stock for stock the Pred will beat a yfz. Others may try to convince you other wise, but even with the lid off and the pea shooter pulled out the yfz is just not making as much hp as the Pred. Check out the article in the Oct.03' issue of Dirtwheels if you don't believe me.
In the Oct.03' dirtwheels article when the did the drag the 450 was winning by 2 bike lengths over the z440 and by about 7 over the pred. The pred and 450 was basically stock except the 450 had a pipe and the pred had a pipe and a carburator mod. Anyways they went on to say that the 450 was ultimate stock quad and blah blah blah.

But who trusts dirtwheels anyways?

I dont believe most the stuff they say but when we go drag racing the fastest fourwheelers down there are the banshee's raptors 450's and scramblers(not including the 1100cc snowmobile engine on a fourwheeler frame.)

I have only drag raced 1 pred in 300 ft' and won by about 3 to 4 bike lengths.

And anyways how did this topic get onto yfz vs pred?

Quick Reply: 400ex vs Pred