Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Who paid close attention on first oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who paid close attention on first oil change?

Originally posted by: Lukester
TreeDoc,

I want you to question the following advice as I'm not speaking from direct experience here.

I was told NOT to run synthetic in a new rig (your truck in this case) because it prevents the rings/cylinders from braking in properly.

I wouldn't run synthetic in your new truck until it's broke in or I was convinced this would not be a problem.

Lukester

I too found the sludge on my drain plug on it's first oil change. I haven't performed the second oil change yet.
I believe that it depends on the manufacture's specs. Some vehicals come with synthetic directly from the factory. But my Harley for example, I cant run synthetic in it until the motor is good and broke in. But you look at the Viper, Corvette, Ferraris, Porshes, and other exotic cars all come with Mobil 1 synthetic from the factory

Old 02-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

synthetic is deffinalty better stuff but is it really worth the exta money if don't really need it, and engines in cars theses days seem to out last the the rest of the car anyway.

Thanks for the answers back. I think i will stick with syntentic anyway because it came with it in there off the self. Thanks

Old 02-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Stick with the synthetic. Considering what we put these motors through, it is worth the extra money.

Old 02-24-2004, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

Good point BigBad,

Synthetic , from one car manufacture to another, will be different. One should take care and know what they have, especially at break in, before they use synthetic. I've heard lots of good things about Amsoil.
I've run the Polaris stuff in my quad (and will continue) cause thats what they recommend.

Lukester

Old 02-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

When I switched from dino to synth in my harley the temp dropped a good 15-20 degrees,its air cooled but it was a pretty dramatic change from just switching lubricant.

Synth is just better. my .02

Old 02-24-2004, 07:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Brushcrusher
When I switched from dino to synth in my harley the temp dropped a good 15-20 degrees,its air cooled but it was a pretty dramatic change from just switching lubricant.

Synth is just better. my .02
Thats good to hear. I was going to switch over to Amsoil syn. in the Harleys this spring, now that both motors are broke in good.

Old 03-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Trailblazer

my magnum 330 had some metal particles in the 1st oil change, sounds like thats normal.

Old 03-14-2004, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, my 02 500 scram had some too, after the first change, it now has 70 hrs on it, runs great, does not use any oil at all. I am using the 0-40 syn polaris oil. I think that is one of the reasons polaris uses that magnetic plug.

Old 03-14-2004, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

Treedoc, would a FRAM from Schucks Auto parts be better? I do not think the filter is going to be a big deal as long as you change the oil at the required times. I have 17.4 on mine now and I will be changing the oil this week so I will look at the oil after I take it out to see if I see what you had in your oil.

So what was the answer over synthetic, should I put it in now or wait till the motor is broken in more? I ran regular oil (10W40 Castrol) in my King Quad and have not had one problem, 9 years I owned it.AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-14-2004, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

Hola AB,
Fram is Fram. It's not just the element that's in question, it's the valving inside that can be a problem but the elements in better quality filters will catch particulate matter many microns smaller than inferior filters. I think we have all experienced what we "think" as suitable service from Fram or other similar filters but I simply feel that I'll get that much more life out of my motors or at least eliminate that one potential equation in motor breakdown by going with the best I can afford.

This subject is floating on another site, specifically oil filters, and I invite everyone to do some research and searching about oil filters because I think we take these low dollar items for granted. You'll be surprised what you find and I think it would bring a new understanding to the subject.

Oh..BTW, with these longer lasting synthetics and longer potential intervals between changing, spinning a new filter on in between regular changes and adding what you need in oil can be a big help.

Quick Reply: Who paid close attention on first oil change?