Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

did spark plug test on 95 scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 11:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did spark plug test on 95 scrambler

yeah its me again lol
if you didnt read my question yesterday i recently bought a 1995 scrambler 400 4x4 it had recently been bored .10 i think, anyway to the point when i am accelerating i get to like half throttle and anything past that kind of bogs down but if i let out it speeds back up i was wondering what i could do

so some guys told me to put in a new plug and to run it hard and turn it off when it bogs i did this, (i also changed the air filter) and the plug had kind of a almond color in it i think they said that was too lean which could be the little pinging noise that i kinda notice, please answer me if you know what your talkin about what could be causing this if i dont figure it out tonight its goin in the shop tomorrow im tryin to save myself some trouble

Old 02-25-2004, 11:15 PM
CED
Pro Rider

The color you are looking for is a paper bag or card board brown.If it is doing this at half throttle you will more than likely need to move the clip on the needle in the carb down one notch or maybe two.This will raise the needle and give you a little more fuel at half throttle.Hope this helps.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

i would not take it to the shop just yet the prob is in the carb and i think you got it now you need to richen the needle jet i just cant remember if its up or down??? but someone will tune in and tell you..
how did you like the link had you already seen it??

Old 02-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Range Rover

liked the link thanks

i dont really know much about carbs im afraid if i try to do that i will lose a spring or something is that possible?

Old 02-25-2004, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

the carb
you just move #31 down on #4 unscrew the top of the carb and pull out the whole throttle its not that fragile #31 is an E clip becarefull with it they like to spring off give it a shot youl do fine

Old 02-25-2004, 11:46 PM
Range Rover

ok that helps but how many notches do i move it down is it just a trial and error thing

is there any way that moving this will mess up my engine (like seizing for example) i know i have an older quad(95) but its my first and i want to improve the throttle response will this do that or is there someting else i can do i plan on adding a clutch kit an exhaust do i need to rejet the carb when i do this and if so what do you recommend

Old 02-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

this will help your quad it may be the reason your piston needed replaced in the first place
you are running lean that causes the motor to heat seize you would rather run rich that just fouls plugs

Old 02-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

hey jayblazer i dont understand what you just wrote can you rewrite it and explain a little
sorry

Old 02-26-2004, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

when your motor runs lean it can do alot of damage to the piston like burn a hole in the top of it or the motor will over heat and the piston rings will break and the piston will dig into the walls of your cylinder
when that happens you have to get the motor bored out to a larger size piston they cut all the scored metal from the walls this happens on 2-strokes anyways but when its lean it speeds it up like maybe it will work for 2-3 days maybe 2-3 months if your runnig rich then its not getting hot enough in the cylinder and the oil does not burn off and it gums up on the spark plug this is known as fouled
the plug will need to be replaced plugs cost a couple of bucks and take 1 minute to change
pistons cost a couple of hundred bucks to repair..

Old 02-26-2004, 12:15 AM
Range Rover

thanks guys especially you jayblazer you seem really knowlegible about quads im glad i found this forum

Quick Reply: did spark plug test on 95 scrambler