Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

please tell me anything you know about using slime!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please tell me anything you know about using slime!

Welcome to the Forum!

I've used Slime for years now, in the <u>tires</u> of most everything I own. My quads run Slime until the tires wear out, then get a new dose with the new tires (I use 1 quart per tire on the quads). I've never had a complete flat on the trail, although I have had some pretty nasty nail sized thorns in my tires. Also I have never noticed an unbalance, and our Polaris' run around 54mph (though not very often).

BTW - the best deal I've found on Slime is a gallon jug with pump at Tractor Supply for $28.00

Old 02-27-2004, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

ive noticed no one mentions fix a flat much. is it a bad idea in bikes/quads? ive used it for years in pedal bike tires, walk behind mowers, even kids soccer *****, etc., but never anything with much abuse or speed.

Old 02-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

I put slime in all four tires of my scrambler, due to thorns or slow rim leaks. It fixed 3 of the 4, but more importantly it caused a vibration above 40 mph. Sometimes it made the quad uncontrolable at high speeds. I will not use it in my new scrambler.

Old 02-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MrToys
I put slime in all four tires of my scrambler, due to thorns or slow rim leaks. It fixed 3 of the 4, but more importantly it caused a vibration above 40 mph. Sometimes it made the quad uncontrolable at high speeds. I will not use it in my new scrambler.
Thats exactly my problem. It is one hellatious vibration.

Old 02-28-2004, 12:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: alwayssomethin
ive noticed no one mentions fix a flat much. is it a bad idea in bikes/quads? ive used it for years in pedal bike tires, walk behind mowers, even kids soccer *****, etc., but never anything with much abuse or speed.
Fix-A-Flat has been known to corrode your rims. Plus it is a much nastier substance to deal with when you have to remove the tires

Old 02-28-2004, 01:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

if its leaking around the bead... try some bead sealer... i no i no... its messy and a b!tch to get the tires off yourself after words but it should work.

Old 02-28-2004, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

It's my guess that your leak is from the bead. In most cases it is caused by muskeg, dirt or small twigs being jammed between the tire and the rim. If this is the case then deflate the tire so the tire can be pushed off the sealing face of the rim then clean out the debris with air, brush, screw driver or whatever will fit in there. If this fails take your tire to your local dealer and have him remove the tire and clean it properly. In my opinion it is better to correct the problem rather than squirting in slime and creating other problems.

Old 02-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Range Rover

Well the first time I took my 99 sport out to Pittsfield State forest in Western Ma. I got a flat. The problem was each front tire had 4 plugs it them. Mind you I got this used and did not replace the tires yet. Luckily I brought a pump and slime with me. I had a friend lift the tire off the ground after I put the slime it. I spun the tire to coat it with slime. Then pumped it up. Well the moral of the story is I didnt replace the tires yet and that one is still holding with out a loss of air. It has been since Sept. 03 and still holding strong. I wont go on any ride with out a bottle of slime. I would have been out in the middle of no where about 14 miles from the truck.

I strongly recomend it.

Old 02-28-2004, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

I'm with traildog. If it was my bike I would fix it right, squirt some soapy water on the rim to find the leak.
Also good idea to carry one of those little air compressors & tire plugs. Friend of mine says slime is a big PIA when changing tires .

Old 02-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

be sure you get the right stuff if you are going to use it. I used some green stuff and it did not work. I read the fine print on the bottle and it stated it was meant to be used in inner tubes. I bought some yellow stuff and it works great. the only kicker is that you need to run your quad for five miles after putting in in or you will have the out of balance problem.

Quick Reply: please tell me anything you know about using slime!