Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

DMC Alien or Yoshimura for Predator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DMC Alien or Yoshimura for Predator?

If you are talking about a stock White Bros, why are you using the Rath example to get people to believe that's what Rath is using, because it's not. You are the person with tunnel vision, not me.
In stock form there are several pipe's that meet sound requirements and make more power in the usable power band for the average Predator. I don't see you bringing those company's into the picture here, just your normal White Bros and HPD soap box. As Heapster said let's stick to technical issue's.

Old 03-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

The last good 4 stroke pipe shoot out article I read was a couple years back when Dirt Wheels actually wrote real good articles instead of turning the magazine into a Christmas wish list catalog full of ads.

They did a dyno shoot-out on about 8-10 different silencers on a stock 400ex.

All the pipes were within a few horsepower of each other on average across the RPM range.

End result? Yes the loudest pipe made the most peak power as you get the motor to breathe and get exhaust gases out faster and lessen back pressure.

But across the board, both low RPM and High revs, the slight gains of .5 - 1 horse power (on average) didn't seem (in my opinion) worth having a loud obnoxious pipe. We're talking going from 88-90 db stock, to over 105-108 db. That's a large large jump!

A tunable disk exhaust system is a proven design dating back to SuperTrapps long standing product line. The end user can tune the amount of disks to balance back pressure for low end torque, yet have a free-er flowing exhaust for top end power. Straight through mufflers like a Big Gun or HMF make more high end power, yet tend to lose low RPM grunt torque.

There is no magic answer guys, and this bickering gets old. Why do you think Polaris spent 100's or 1000's of engineering and flow bench design hours developing head pipe diameter, length, and bend radiuses? Then they picked the best silencer (for the all-around average Joe) as their Pure Polaris performance part being the White Brothers tunable system.

White Brothers offers the straight through R4 series for competition use only, but the extra noise won't deliver more power unless it fits into the WHOLE set-up of your machine. Tune what you have, instead of adding 14 different parts not meant to work together, and then we all get to hear forum posts about how crappy my quad runs, backfires, hesitates, and such.

Maybe I'm extra sensitive to noise as I ride the Oregon Dunes often. They strictly enforce a 93 dB sound level, and I think for next year they want 92 dB. My old banshee with Toomey T5 silencers blew a 102 dB, so I had to spend another $300 on Cascade CSFX silencers to get under the sound level.

Had I bought the quieter performance exhaust in the first place, I'd still have $300 bucks extra in my pocket. Sure the shrill attack the ears sound of a dune banshee rap'd out is music to the ears, but people who have to put up with this daily assault on their senses from living near (but still miles away from the dunes) have complained enough that the riding areas continue to shrink and noise enforcement gets more strict.

Your riding area is next. I ride on 40,000 acres of forest out back of my house, yet I still want to keep my neighbors happy. You should too if you want to keep the riding areas open.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Heapster
Straight through mufflers like a Big Gun or HMF make more high end power, yet tend to lose low RPM grunt torque.
not starting an agrument... but when i just had my biggun i could take off in second w/o any bog at all... so it gave it alot of low end.. and it pulls pretty hard on top too.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

I also read that article. if I am not mistaken CT performance pipe won the shoot out, but was also the loudest pipe. The one other thing that you didn't mention Heapster is the pipe's ability to scavage the exhaust. The Predator share's a charcteristic with the KTM 525 engine that exhaust must be excellerated to operate to it's full potential. Not everyone is taking advantage of this oportunity to make more power. Now for the issue of sound levels, I think common since should come into play, I race on sanctioned tracks that have no noise rules, the same for most MX races. Now i do agree that if your riding on public land you have to be considerate of the people around you. A couple of horsepower is not worth offending everyone around you, but at the race track a couple of ponies means everything.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

and for people like me who do a little of both... i am going with the "ponies"

Old 03-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

me too, i could understand the quietness in public place, but at the track or on my own property, i want to hp!!

Old 03-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

As usual, well stated Heapster......sigh, I guess the rest of my thoughts just fall on deaf ears. I love when the stage is set for a great big "I told you". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Have a nice day.

Old 03-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

you don't stand alone with your thoughts Modquad.

Old 05-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey there,

I just bought an Alien pipe for my 03 predator. Would you mind sharing me how you jetted it? I don't have a clue where to start! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Chad (please email me directly) cosborn@cpsaz.com