Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dynaport pipe!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2000, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

talon400, just to point something out, of course Dynoport is going to tell you how great their products are if you call them. Any manufacturer is going to do that unless they don't want to stay in business.

I can see it now: (ring ring)
Hello, HPD?

Yes, this is HPD, may I help you?

Yes, how good are your pipes?

Well, they are pretty good, but you might want to try Hot Seat or Dynoport.

Anyway, I can not tell you that your pipe is not good. I do not know that. But I will say, with complete confidence, that if you clutch your bike, you will use much more of its power. The stock setup is for straight reliability and trail riding. But what most don't know, is a clutch kit makes your tranny more reliable, by allowing less belt slippage, and less heat up.

Old 07-11-2000, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

is it loud??

Old 07-11-2000, 04:30 PM
Range Rover

Lurch77 whhhoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes of course any company can say that but THEY PROVED IT.

The pipe is semi loud has a good bark to it. I absolutely love it.

Oh and by the way Lurch77 why dont you call them and learn something. Be real negative towards their pipe, work them over alittle bit, then see what you think before you shoot your mouth off about something you dont even understand.

Chuck

Old 07-11-2000, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer

I'll tell you when I get mine!

Old 07-11-2000, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

Just the pipe and or clutch kit only makes your quad only tenths of seconds faster than the other.
Check out my posting awhile back (Reply: Dare to compare)
All I have to say is if your racing your quad you
will need those tenths.
If you just want more performance, you can buy just about anything Dynaport,RCR,HPD what ever.
Hope this helps later Rictor.

Old 07-12-2000, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Talon400, Run my mouth off? You did read my last post, right?
I said "Anyway, I can not tell you that your pipe is not good. I do not know that."
Guess you did not understand what I meant. All I am trying to say, is that you WILL see a performance gain with a clutch kit...period. No matter what pipe you use.
I am not trying to argue with you, sorry if it seems that way. I am just stating what I DO know.

Old 07-12-2000, 01:01 PM
Range Rover

Lurch77 sorry for the misunderstanding, besides I am here just the same as everyone else. Just having fun and sharing our OPINIONS with each other. No problem, sorry if I came off the wrong way, sometimes you have those days.

Chuck

Old 07-12-2000, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Any pipe worth it's price WILL need a clutch kit. The stock parts in Polaris clutches are, in a few words, "El Sucko". They are made for beginners so that they don't kill themselves learning to ride. Anyone seriously interested in performance will be best served by buying a pipe AND clutch kit together. Pipes and clutch kits go together like H and 2O. A GOOD aftermarket pipe will produce power differently than a stock pipe. Getting the power to the ground is the responsibility of the clutches. You can easily make 70 shaft horsepower out of your motor, but with out properly tuned clutches, that power is wasted.

Chuck, your fiance's brother may not have the clutches adjusted right for the pipe. Or for that matter it may be the wrong clutch kit all together. It sounds like his clutch isn't up shifting as well as it should. It sounds like he is making the extra horsepower, but not getting it to the ground because the secondary clutch is upshifting too quick. The secondary clutch needs the correct spring and preload to properly function. If the spring and preload are too light what happens is that the secondary clutch because of the increased horsepower and torque are shifting up before the motor has a chance to catch up. This would bog down the motor. If you set the preload too stiff or use the wrong spring, the motor will spin up but not have enough horsepower or torque to allow the secondary clutch to shift. There is a fine line between a properly tuned clutch kit, and one that will do nothing than slow you down.

Most aftermarket manufacturers KNOW what the right RPMs to shift at are. They also have access to dynomometers and know what works best with what. Trust them.

Then there is the issue of Backshifting. Back shifting is when you let off the throttle while accelerating, and then give it throttle again. The delay it takes for the clutch to "spool up" to it's position before you let off the throttle, is what you want to eliminate. The back shifting on a stock Polaris secondary clutch is an joke. You don't need a stop watch to measure the back shifting time, you need a calender.

I'm sorry, but ANYONE who says a clutch kit ISN'T need is just trying to sell you "snake oil". P.S. look who is now selling clutch kits for their pipes that don't need clutch kits. Go to Dynoport's page and take a look (www.dynoport.com)

Old 07-12-2000, 03:11 PM
Range Rover

Mike well first of all beside the pipe being put on by us his quad was sent away to have everything professionally done and put on the dyno...... hmmmm makes you wonder huh?

Old 07-13-2000, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

Talon,

I was wondering about the clutch kit. Is it the EPI kit that Dynoport sells? If so, it still might not be adjusted right. In theory, he should lose you from the start and never look back, but in theory bumble bees also can't fly. Could you list all of the mods you made to his quad? This might help me better understand what is going on.

Also, are the quads the same year/model? I do know that the sprockets on the Sports/Scramblers are different depending on the year. Starting in 1999 the sprockets were changed on all models to a 36 tooth rear. If they are different years, this might explain why you get him at the start and he slowly reels you in.