Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lights

It sounds like the lights are very good. I am going to order them as soon as possible. One last question, was there drilling involved in the installation? Thanks so much guys!

Old 03-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default lights

OK A 2004 SPORTSMAN 500 HO ALTERNATOR OUTPUT IS RATED AT 240 WATTS.
DIVIDE 240 BY 12 = 20 AMPS, THATS ALL THE AMPERAGE THE ALT WILL HANDLE.
NOW THE FRNOT STOCK HIGH BEAM IS 50 WATTS/ 4.2 AMPS.
THE 2 STOCK LOW BEAMS ARE 27 WATTS A PIECE, SO YOU GOT 54 WATTS/ 4.5 AMPS
NOW DONT FORGET THE THE BRAKE LIGHT ITS 26.9 WATTS/ 2.3 AMPS
WITH A TOTAL STOCK LIGHTING SYSTEM YOU'LL BE AT 131 WATTS/ 11 AMPS
55 WATT DRIVING LIGHTS ARE RATED AT 55 WATTS/ 4.6 AMPS A PIECE OR 2 = 110 WATTS/ 9.2 AMPS
YOUR BETTER OFF GOTING WITH TWO 35 WATT / 2.9 AMPS LIGHTS FOR A TOTAL OF 70 WATTS / 5.8 AMPS. NOW KEEP IN MIND TO LEAVE SOME RESERVE WATTAGE/ AMPERAGE TO RECHARGE THE BATTERY.
TRY NOT TO MAX OUT YOUR ALTERNATOR.
WHY NOT JUST GET THE LIGHT KIT TO WIRE ALL THREE STOCK LIGHTS TO COME ON AT THE SAME TIME?
THERE ON E-BAY FOR ABOUT $10.00.
JUST BE SHURE TO CHECK YOU MODELS OUTPUT, IT'S IN YOUR MANUAL ALONG WITH ALL THIS INFO.

I HOPE THIS HELPS!

Old 03-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default lights

I use two off road lights on mine in the winter. They are REAL bright and i have had no problem yet. There are some pics in my gallery just click the camera to see them.

Old 03-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default lights

The TB250 only has a 150Wt (12.5 amps) alternator. So 2 55wt lights would take up 9.2 amps. So that leaves you with 3.3 amps. Then you got the tail light which is 2.3 amps. So you are only left with 1 amp. That is really stressing out your alternator.

Old 03-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lights

Here is another idea that I personally use. I bought a set of OPTRONIC ATV LIGHTS at www.optronics.com. There are actually 35watt but throw three times the light that my stock due on high. I took all the connections they came with and trashed them. I used there connections on my wolverine and their capacitors would hold water and short out. I mount only 1 to the front of my scrammy and the other to my rear rack above my tailight. How many times have you wished you had a reverse light.(great for hooking up tow ropes in the dark)! I hot wired them to a heavy-duty three-way switch. Then ran a hot wire from switch to battery with a 10amp in-line fuse. I have used this system for over two years and havn't blown a fuse yet and I'm on the orginal battery in my 01 scrammy. I usually will run the one front light with my factory highs on. Another great feature of this setup is that I have a fixed mounted light and movable lights(handlebars) all in one set-up.
P.S. I move the switch foward for front light middle for both off and backwards for reverse light.
P.S.S. Another idea with this system it take a 1-inch wide by however long, piece of velco to hold the reverse light to the bottom of your rack. With this mounting system you can add an extra six feet of wire and have a semi-removable light for doing repairs and ect.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default lights

Am i just really thick, or does it not say how much watts and amps the moose lights take? Here, see if anyone of you can find it.
I know that mudmaster said that he runs them fine, but my alternator and battery are kinda screwed up, they work but not too well, so can someone tell me if i run these new moose lights and no stock light, except the tail light, will i be in the red or in the clear?

Old 03-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default lights

I looked at the Moose Lights on several sites and could never find ANY specs on them so I said "screw it" they can keep 'em!

Old 03-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default lights

i run them all at the same time with no problems. they are very bright lights and are well built sturdy and waterproof, i had to drill some but thats just because i wanted them mounted up front so we bolted them up like u can see in my picutres.

Old 03-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lights

I currently am having electrical issues: I have no power at all. Does the circuit breaker need to be tripped again to restore power or does it come back on automatically? If it does need to be manually tripped, how do you do it?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2004, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default lights

What year and model is your quad? At least on the newer Sportsman the Circuit Breaker is in the wiring harness supposedly in a little bag somewhere near the battery. I still to this day have not seen it when I've searched and I even asked the Service Mgr at my ex-dealer and he couldn't tell me where it was! The breaker "should" trip and then reset itself after the ignition is shut off and then turned on again. That is what happened with my 400 when I was having a lighting overload.

Quick Reply: lights