Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Some Scrambler 500 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Scrambler 500 Questions

BigBad, I noticed your pics. Could your scrambler do a wheelie before you got the mods? Mine is stock and I've tried over and over and the wheels wont come off the ground at all...

Old 03-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Mine wouldn't wheelie for crap until I got a pipe and bigger main jet....now I can wheelie on hardtop but usually just spin the wheels in dirt. A clutch kit is in the works, I just have to decide on which one I'm going to get...

Old 03-14-2004, 12:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: coolintheice
Hey BIGBAD, Im going to install a Dalton clutch kit in my friends Scambler 500. I have a few questions to ask if you don't mind. The kit comes with new weights, a helix and two new springs. Do I need any special tools to install the helix? He also has a K&N with a outerwear and a FMF pipe, do you recommend any holes in his air box lid? if so how many and how big? also he ask me to install a set of hot grips and I was wondering is there a 12 volt power source under the front hood or should I run power back to the batterie? If you could help me I would be gratefull.
The spring and weights for the primary clutch are easy and straight forward to do. Make sure you align the "X" marks back up on the primary clutch cover and torque the cover bolts to 90 in lbs. The secondary clutch is a little trickier. You will need a good pair of snap ring pliers for it. You shouldn't need a puller to get the clutch off, unless it is rusted on. But, it should come off with a few good tugs. You will want your friend to push down on the helix to relieve the spring tension off the helix so you can get the snap ring off. When you put the new spring and helix in, make sure you put the spring in the correct holes. Then line up the boss spline of the helix and push it down until it engages the splines 1/2" to 3/4". While holding downward pressure on the helix, wind the moveable clutch sheave 1/3 turn counterclockwise. Then push the helix all the way down and install the snap ring. When you go to reinstall the clutch, put a light film of grease on the tranny shaft. Also, make sure the machine is in gear, it will make it a lot easier to get that clutch to go on. Thats all there is to it.

As for the airbox goes. The scram uses a CV card that requires a vaccum to open the slide. If you put holes in the airbox or lid, you reduce the vaccum. The carb needs to be recalibrated (not just rejetted) in order for the slide to function properly. It may actually run poorer by putting holes in the lid. If he wants to open up the airbox some, I would suggest getting the HPD air box mod. It included a large scoop and all the parts needed to recalibrate the carb. That is the way to go.

As for the hand warmers. I have no experiece with them. I am not sure where others wire them to. But I would thing that the ignition would have a 12V power going to it?

Old 03-14-2004, 12:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TRoss0422
BigBad, I noticed your pics. Could your scrambler do a wheelie before you got the mods? Mine is stock and I've tried over and over and the wheels wont come off the ground at all...
I could get little wheelies when it was stock. I had to be on some hard packed dirt or grass and sit pretty far back. The clutch kit made a world of difference for wheelies. It comes right up now. The problem I have is getting traction. I have to be on grass otherwise I just spin the tires[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2004, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks BIGBAD.

Old 03-14-2004, 01:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Anytime coolintheice. If you run into problems, let me know. I will try and help you if I can. Also, I forgot to add, the retaining bolt for the secondary clutch gets torqued to 17 Ft lbs.

Old 03-14-2004, 04:58 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Bigbad, Come to find out the hot grips where Polaris hot grips, and the instruction said any red wire with a white tracer is a good 12 volt source. I just finished the primary clutch and it was simple just like my Vforce but with one less wieght. I don't have the correct size snap ring plyers so I'll have to buy a new set. thanks again.

Old 03-14-2004, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

BigBad to the rescue again! Glad to have you as part of the community BBS, you're a wealth of information and always willing to help out!

Old 03-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: RookWV
BigBad to the rescue again! Glad to have you as part of the community BBS, you're a wealth of information and always willing to help out!
I 2nd that
you too rookwv

Quick Reply: Some Scrambler 500 Questions