Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

old polaris probelm

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old polaris probelm

i have a '92 polaris 250 2x4 2-stroke and it doesnt turn over. the story goes like this: i went to ride it and i checked the fuel it was empty so i filled it up but i had no idea that my dad had ridden it and ran out of gas and changed it to reserve without telling me. so i started riding and it died so i tried starting it until the battery ran low. then i noticed that it was on reserve so i flipped it to on and tried to start it with the pull start and i couldnt pull it at all. so i pushed all the way back and took the battery out and charged it. the next day i put the battery in and tried it all the starter did was engage and not turn the motor over. and the pull start i still couldnt even move. it had oil because i had just filled it. one thing i noticed was that when the starter engaged the pvt cover moved outwards. does anyone know what is wrong?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

---------------
'04 polaris sportsman400
'92 polaris 250

Old 03-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

umm whats the problem?

Old 03-11-2004, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

try taking the spark plug out and try the pull start. you may have filled the cylinder with gas. you cant compress a liquid. make sure the gas is off and maybe pinch the fuel line closed . if you can move the engine with the spark plug out you should see gas come out the spark plug hole. if this is what happened your float stuck or the needle and seat need to be replaced.

Old 03-11-2004, 02:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

actually if you ran out of GAS, maybe the cylinder is filled with OIL.

pull the plug and turn it over a few times. i think you will see oil come flying out!

(my old Scrambler 50 did this 2 years ago)

good luck!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2004, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

I would investigate why your PVT Cover bulged outward! That shouldn't be. Perhaps something on your primary clutch is engaging the cover and not allowing it to turn. Maybe your Dad got Jiggy wit it and busted somethin' and didn't fess up! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Failing that....refer to the above!

Old 03-11-2004, 03:29 AM
Trailblazer

i agree with treedoc somthing aint rite with your clutch i bet , BUT if you have gas or oil hydro locked in your cylnder i would pull the plug and drain the crank before trying to start it ,,,if you dont you could get enough out the spark plug to get it to fire , and if the crank has fluid it could then be sucked up and lock again,,, YOU COULD SNAP THE HEAD, had it happen on a sled once not cool at all . better safe than sorry and 200 bucks short i figer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

I bought A Cyclone that the owner thought had ceased. It turned out the rubber PVT seal behind the primary had been pulled off by the primary and wound around the crank. Caused the cover to move when you tried to pull start it but you could not get it to turn over. This sounds just like your problem. A warped cover caused the seal to push toward the rear fins on the primary.

Old 03-12-2004, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: fishslab
I bought A Cyclone that the owner thought had ceased. It turned out the rubber PVT seal behind the primary had been pulled off by the primary and wound around the crank. Caused the cover to move when you tried to pull start it but you could not get it to turn over. This sounds just like your problem. A warped cover caused the seal to push toward the rear fins on the primary.
Same happened to me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

fishslab, u r exactly right. but how do u fix it?