Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

A Few Plowing Tips, Please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 07:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Plowing Tips, Please?

i have always plowed in LOW. belt housing ventilates and stays cooler that way. HIGH is for joy-riding over 15MPH.

for all my Sportsmans i bought the 60" Moose blades. on a SP i recommend 60". it's just barely wide enough when angled.

i have only owned the heavy-duty, straight blade and county flaired blade, Moose Utilities plows so i can't give you first-hand experience on the Glacier. it does look like a good design though. i can tell you the Moose is a solid, powerful, reliable set-up. looks good painted Fisher yellow to!! it is kinda a pain to line-up those holes to stick the 2 pins in though.

i am considering the Glacier set up. i just want to look at the 60" blade first to see if it's as HD as my old Moose blade.

good luck, enjoy!

-MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-19-2004, 07:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Adio
one more thing. be sure to get the upper rubber snow deflector. it REALLY helps keep the wisp of snow off you while plowing.

Old 03-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

I have a few questions on the Glacial Plow. I bought the system with my 700 EFI but am waiting for my winch to get here. I did hook it up and manually locked it into place lifting it by hand, just to see if it works as said in the video. Anyway, when putting it all together, there is little hockey puck disks on the bottom of the plow blade. It says nothing about where to set these things. What is their purpose and how should I set them. Also, the bolts on the blade, opposite from where the springs hook up. Should those be tightened all the way down? where should the blade angle metal squares be set. I know the directions say that the blade is designed to fold back if it has too much pressure put onto it, but man, I could only manually set the blade on the smallest setting, as I had a hard time pushing it back far enough to hook up the springs. I must be doing something wrong, but the directions are so vauge on how to set these things. Thanks for any assistance.

Old 03-20-2004, 08:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

"little hockey puck disks "

LOL!
those are the skids. if you wish, you can use them to keep the blade off the ground say about 1/4". they are designed to extend the life of the cutting edge.

personally i don't use them. i like to clean all the way down to the bare black-top. i don't like the little skim of snow lift behind using the skids.

with all the plowing i do each winter, i will replace the $29 cutting edge once a year. no big deal.

good luck with your new ATV klondikejim! nice pick![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2004, 08:48 AM
Range Rover

Dealing with lining the pins up for the moose or Country cycle plows it helps to lift the plow off the ground first. If you have a manual lift hook it up first and lift it up. If you have a winch do the same thing. It only needs to be an inch or so off the ground then its just a matter of swinging the plow and poping the pin in. I can have everything hooked up under a minute without hurrying. Just something I have discovered this winter thought it might help. Jay

Old 03-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

klondikejim,
as mtpockets said those are the skids. They help if you are pushing snow on soft ground or on a paved surface to save your cutting edge from diggin in to far in dirt and wear when plowing on paved surfaces. I put a trouble light on the garage floor to shine light under the plows cutting edge. I then adjust the skids height until I get a little bit of light shinging on both sides. Works great until the skids wear down some then the cutting edge is wearing.

As far as the springs on the trip for the blade I also had a little bit of difficulty at first but figured it out. There are 2 loose bolts on the Glacier plow mount that have a almost square piece of metal (not painted, zinc platedb square blocks) the bolts go through. Keep those loose. Mount the blade with the 2 big bolts and then move those two square pieces of metal blocks away from the plow mount. These should allow the frame to swing towards the top of the plow and let you hook the springs onto the blade and the eye bolts on the frame. Then push the frame away from the plow mount and move the zinc plated blocks into place. One edge of the blocks are concave and I think those are what ride on the plow. Tighten the bolts that hold the blocks in place, tighten the eye bolts which put some more tension on the trip springs. I think I have about a 1/2 inch of threads showing on mine so far. I just mounted mine up this week and will need some snow before I know if I need to put more tension on the trip springs.

I hope that made some sense. I can take some pictures to make it clearer. Just give me your email address so I can send them.

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer

Awesome XCRIDer, thanks for the tips. Feel free to email the pics, just so I got it all straight. jim-n-becky@alaska.com

Thanks again

Jim

Old 03-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Range Rover

Adio: I didn't know there was any type of remote control for the blade angle. Any info on this?

Old 03-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bytor,
Go on www.purepolaris.com , and click on the plow accessories link.
There you will see "remote blade angle control"