Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bent Handlebars on Trail Boss

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2000, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last weekend while riding my wife rolled her new trailboss going up a pretty wicked hill (shame on me for not riding it up for her) in the Wayne National Forest. She only received a bruised elbow, but managed to break the brake handle and bend the handlebars on the machine. I also noticed that the plastic is slightly shifted also, but not enough to worry about. A short trip to the Athen Polaris dealer fixed the brake handle problem, but I cannot get the handlebars bent completely back in shape. I straightened it pretty good on the trail, but the right side is a little bent down. Would it hurt to try and use a crow bar with the handlebars on the machine, or should I tear it apart and put it in a vice? How strong is the assembly holding the handlebar on? I do not want to break or bend anything else!! I rode the machine for a five hour night ride later that night and the steering and suspension seem to be ok, so I think only the handlebars are bent.

By the way, that little trail boss is a great hill climber, I was driving over rocks and ruts that the 400ex and Recon that I was riding with were getting stuck on. I just want to know what genius at Honda thought that the 400ex did not need reverse . Don't get me wrong, they are a great machine, but it'll need reverse and some ground clearance before I would buy it for trail riding.

Old 07-14-2000, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

well if the handle bars r bent take of ur hand grip and find a peace of pipe slid it over the handlebar and pull it the way it needs bend back to reglar form

Old 07-15-2000, 12:14 AM
Range Rover

Buy new bars because after they are bent and then bent back into place they are serverly weaked. I tried the same thing on my blaster and when I landed a small jump they bent down.

Old 07-15-2000, 02:18 AM
Range Rover

hey mudman...if you need new bars e-mail me and Ill hook you up on a new set.I have the fact.ones off my sport and my wifes scrambler 2x4
http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/RightWay/hiperfpolaris

Old 07-15-2000, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer

It might not be the handlebars that are bent. Did you look at the steering post that the handlebars are mounted to?
The only reason I say this is that my 16 year old son caught a tire on a washed out part of the road and flipped our 325 mag 4x4 into the ditch. When we extracted the bike it looked like the handlebars were bent, when in fact it was the steering post that was bent.

Old 11-15-2001, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

Hey MagnumMudMan,
Are u talkin about Hanging Rock,Ohio. If so I rolled my TBoss there and bent the left hadle bar down on a hellacious hill.We straightened it out as bst wo could but it still is a little lower that the right side.It has like a CR bend to it Thats all nothing elese damaged, lucky I guess.

Old 11-16-2001, 12:54 PM
Range Rover

I bent my handle bars and the mounting bracket on the top of the steering stem. I used a big cresent wrench and a level to straighten the bracket.

I would not mess with bending your stock handle bars. If you bend them back they will be easier to bend again. I went and bought a set of ONEAL bars ($20) for a dirtbike for my TBoss, then I switched over to aluminum MSR Dominators($39.98).

By the wat I bought my TBoss from Athens, Ohio. Don Wood right?

Where is Liberty Center compared to Athens?

Old 11-16-2001, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

I rolled my Scrambler on a steep hill a month ago, only a slight bend in the handle bars. Rockymountainatv.com has Moose steel handlebars in red for 16.99, nice grips for 8.99, cheap enough and changed in less than an hour. just my $.02

Old 11-17-2001, 08:20 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you roll a polaris you ussually mess up the steering post so if she can live with it bend them back and ride it till you really mess it up where it is not rideable. Brad ----------1996 425 magnum 4x4---------1996 Sportsman 4x4 -----------2001 Yamaha Breeze(sons)

Old 11-17-2001, 09:54 PM
BK
Pro Rider

MagnumMudMan

I echo what some others have said. When my friend rolled his T Boss the shaft bent, as well as the bars. I found a piece of steel bar that fit down into the hole in the end of the shaft then put a long pipe on it and slowly straightened the shaft. We were able to get it straight. We straightened the bars with a piece of pipe, but the local Polaris dealer could get the Moose bars for less than $20, and they are better than the originals.

Where did she roll it at Wayne? We went back 2 weeks ago (with no beginners this time) and rode the outer edge of Dorr run and Perdum (sp), then rode the main corridor to the concession stand parking lot. We were carefully studying the rock hill before we went up when this kid on a 220 Bayou rode past us, went up, turned around and came back down. He then explained that it was easier when he didn't have one tire off the bead in the rear! So we jumped on and went on up feeling foolish. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be even though it looks intimidating from the bottom. Actually the Perdum loop seemed overall harder than most of the other areas. The hills all seemed to have weird twists or turns or off cambers or something to keep you off balance. It was a lot of fun and we didn't meet any other riders while we were on that loop. Good luck with the Boss [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]