Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New to working on Atvs

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to working on Atvs

I have a 97 polaris Trail boss 250 244cc . I bought it and its in horrible shape . It rode fine probably the first 10 times . Then while riding heard a pop sound it shut off. Tried to start nothing. Hooked up a spark plug tester it gets spark from plug and coil. So i took the carb apart and used carb cleaner and reset the screw . Tried to start it again noticed gas leaking out of exhaust by the engine area on foot brake pedal side . Took exhaust off fuel n oil mix spewed out. Took gas nozzle to carb off . Turned over the engine bout five times gas and oil kept spewing . After a while it finally stopped spewing. It will turn over to start but wont run. Even tried starter fluid . (Caught the exhaust on fire from it back firing) . I need help . I want to drain oil but dont know where plug is . I have bought a new cdi box . I put a new spark plug in. And i have sprayed the carb completely in and out and took it apart and put it back together . Checked the floats and the pin and the flap . However my oil is low so now im off to get 2cycle oil. If you have any ideas or comments please reply. Before i tear thing whole atv apart and rebuild it

Old 08-14-2015, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Moved to more appropriate section. -Moderator

Old 08-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You don't drain the 2 stroke oil just add to the oil tank. Before you go too far check compression to see where you stand on the top end.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Yeah, I am interested to hear about that "POP" you mentioned. Was it a backfire type of pop, or a broken something real important type of sound? Compression test is a good start, and the fact that it is turning over is a good sign. Any grinding or crunching sounds involved with that turning over that you can tell? YOu sound like you have been throwing parts at it. Back firing usually points to a timing issue if my old 2 stroke days meant anything. You are getting fuel and spark, then it sounds like it is happening at the wrong times.... Just a thought... I am not a mechanic by any means, and have never touched a Polaris.

Since this post is so old, can you update us with what you found?

Old 05-06-2017, 10:25 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They never made another post before or since this one and aren't likely on here anymore. It would be nice if people would post back with what did or didn't work. It could help other people.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:07 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
They never made another post before or since this one and aren't likely on here anymore. It would be nice if people would post back with what did or didn't work. It could help other people.
Frustrating when people take the time to try to help others and then you never hear a peep back..

Old 05-08-2017, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Yeah, I just let it run off my back like a duck these days. We did our part.