Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

POLARIS does it again

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2000, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. Last weekend I went riding with a few buddys of mine and one brought along his brand new Rubicon 500. He was sure then he would beat my SP in this little challenge we put together. Boy was he ever wrong. The Rubicon is a beautiful machine and the tranny is outstanding, but it needed more then a tranny to go where my SP went. I went thorugh mud that stoped him dead in his tracks. I made it up steep off chanber hills that made him go back down. I was really impressed with my SP500. It proved once again that the Sp500 is truly the ATV to beat in the 4x4 world, and with that new 650 or 700 what ever it is, it's going to be even harder

1998 SPORTSMAN 500 EBS (Red)
1999 GRIZZLY 600 (Tan)
2000 SILVERADO 2500LT Z71 4x4

Old 07-14-2000, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

The rubicon is a nice looking machine and that tranny is nothing short of spectacular.

But the ATV it's self is still the same old honda nothing...

3x4, drums, ect

Old 07-14-2000, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

I figured as much would happen, at least I was hoping. i have not had a chance to ride with a Rubicon yet it should be fun.

Old 07-14-2000, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

interesting...

looks like that the rider on the rubicon must be inexperienced... hmmm... no wonder why he'd back off on steep climbers... rubi should be more stable than the sp500 due to lower center of gravity. I wonder how the rubi would compare to the SP500, given equal rider experience... and both being both bone stock... then I'll have my own opinion b/w the machines, but I think that sp would be better in mud, given the clearance, but hillclimbing should be owned by rubi.

-Mudmann

Old 07-14-2000, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Is there always going to be an excuse for Honda? I found a guy in the Highlifter forum that lives right here in Tyler. He is called HONDAVAMP. I have tried to single him out for a little competition since no Honda local rider here wants to do it. I hope he accepts.

Even if we do manage to put a RUBI/SP500 competition together, we will probably get the same old excuses. The SP500 riders must all be professionals. And Rubis are only sold to little blind girls.

Ha!!!

Greg

Old 07-14-2000, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

I to wonder as to the level of experience of HONDA rider,I would think the Hondu would go just about any place the 500 would,it looks like nice machine.I would think that with the lower center of gravity that it would do good on hills.I don't ride mud so can't say anything about it,maybe after he's had it awhile he'll give you better run.Me being 500SP owner,I feel the 500 is a hard one to push out of the way but I'm sure in the right hands the RUBY would fly right along side,each will out shine the other in some way.CM

Old 07-14-2000, 08:57 PM
Range Rover

the lower center of gravity rarely comes into effect unless you are on such terrain that you are just about to tip over! with true awd and a heavier machine (with a tighter turning radious and more ground clearance) odds are that the SP will win in the hill climbing category as well!

you don't see cometition rock climbing jeeps goin for the lowest center of gravity! hell, they raise their body 10 inches when they fill their air shocks at the bottom of the hill... fact is it just usually isn't a factor unless you are TURNING on that hill.

in mud the SP will be better, on hills, in woods, on sand, and in wide open areas too!

they are both awesome machines but not made for the same purpose. If you want to pull trailers around the farm, and have a high quality long lasting excellent fit and finish machine then get the honda. if you want the high performance (until the belt gets drenched) machine that'll beat anyone else's 4by4 and still have good reliability then get the Sportsman!

Old 07-15-2000, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

The Sportsman 500 with it's true AWD system and IRS rear suspension system will out climb most anything in it's class. The IRS puts all the power to the ground when the terrain is un even or very messy, and with the addition of the true awd system, there is very little that will stop the SP500. Both machines are designed with the same idea in mind and that is to take the rider where he/she wants to go. But the truth is the truth, the Sportsman with it's outstanding suspension, super high ground clearence and true awd system will make it to places that will leave a straight axel machine stuck. The Honda has a cool new 4x4 system, but one thing is for sure, TRUE 4x4 is TRUE 4x4.

Old 07-15-2000, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

blah, blah, blah, blah, my quads better than your quad, blah, blah, blah, blah, my quads better than your quad, blah, blah, blah, blah, my quads better than your quad, blah, blah, blah, blah, my quads better than your quad, blah, blah, blah, blah, my quads better than your quad, this arguement bores me. as long as we have fun whats the difference. if i ever get my rancher hung up i hope theres a polaris, or honda, or yamaha, or anything else there to pull me out. i personally think my rancher is a better quad than the almighty sportman or rubicon...for my needs at least.

Old 07-15-2000, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Mag500 on this one, cartman its not a matter of really who's quad is better but there is eventually going to be bragging rights if the new Rubicon will out do the Sportsman. I just can't see the Rubicon hanging with the Sportsman do to the solid axle and the 3 wheel drive. Hey Badd500 why don't you see if your buddy will trade machines with you and then let us see from your own honest opinion if the Rubicon will run with the Sportsman...Hey Cartman what kind of good deals are there on the rancher or any left over 300cc Hondas in Charleston, I am seriously thinking on buying one to rent on the Hatfield McCoy Trails when everything gets going here.

Quick Reply: POLARIS does it again