Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Thinking of ditching the...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 06:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of ditching the...

The HPD exhaust for the 500 scram doesnt come with a spark aresstor, I wish it did though. And no, you dont have to change the helix, but like thewayout420 said, the whol ekit will give you better results

Old 03-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

So how much more difficult is the helix change? Special tools for it? 1 or 2 man job? I think I'll just pick up the HPD aggressive kit (PART # ATVCK5PA) and the steering damper.

Anything else you guys can spend my money on? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2004, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

im not sure how hard it is to change,ill be doing mine tomorrow.like i said i have a brand bew stearing damper from hpd,send me a private message if interested..

Old 03-23-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

if you want us to spend your money we can easily do that,get a chain tensioner,airbox mod,hpd belt,shock covers how much money ya got?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

I forgot about the chain tensioner! Thanks for reminding me.....I think [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The airbox mod will come later, I'm already up to $350---it's difficult for me to spend a whole bunch of $$ at once in one place....I'm not sure I understand how it comes off once it's on....does it just fit on the exisiting airbox lid---it's not attached via the rivets is it? How do you get it off so you can clean the air filter?

I've already got some shock covers...and a spare belt in the spare parts box.

Old 03-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

im not sure how the air lid goes on,i see alot of rivots in the picture though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2004, 09:31 PM
Range Rover

While where on the subject of 500's I got ours back together and running again....I took it for a quick spin and remembered how sad it is in the snow (5 inches wet and heavy) Sadly enough my dad who was forking over the dough decided not to send it to FST and get the 600 kit, he went to the polaris dealer and got 130 bucks worth of parts rather than 1200 bucks for the stuff from FST, whos to blame him though, he barely ever rides it and I sure the heck don't. The two stroke smoke is addicting....smell the Amsoil [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

you think the 500 isnt good in the snow?compared to your sled yeah it stinks but i think it goes awesome for a quad in the snow..

Old 03-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was you I would keep the Supertrapp and put together a clutch kit to suit your ridding style. Withoutt a tach and know how it will be hard to get perfect but you can get it close.Try a higher engaging primary spring,and the weights and a secondary spring for a clutch kit.BBS can tell you what the HPD comes with.But I would run a yellow instead of the brown spring. THe air box mod and jetting would be a better investment since you already have a good exhaust system.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Rook, i have pictures of the modifications needed to the air box lid for the HPD kit. Air box. You basically cut out a huge hole in your lid, then silicone and rivit the new scoop on. As far as the clutch goes, I have a brown primary spring (or you can try the yellow like ftwflh mentioned), violet secondary spring set on the 2-2 position, 58g weights (though CED mentioed that it runs better with 53g weights, I might give that a try soon), and I dont remember what helix. HPD could probably let you know what helix comes in the kit.

Quick Reply: Thinking of ditching the...