Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

starter woes.................

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 08:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter woes.................

Alright guys. I have a problem. I went to start the scram the other day for the first time in a few months. When I hit the stater button, the starter spins but doesnt turn over the engine. I suspect the starter drive is the problem. Also, the pull rope wont retract all the way back in. Any suggestions? I dont want to buy a new staret if possible. I would rather just fix whats wrong with it.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

my pred did that when it was really cold out... i threw a heater on it and it started up after a few minutes...
but i doubt thats your problem... does it start at all?

Old 03-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Take the recoil cover off and clean the recoil assy and the starter drive. Probably some old nasty water in there.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

not real sure on these quads but if it were a car doing this I would say the bendix is hung and not rolling out. I would guess that quads are pretty similar. After looking at the diagram I would bet it just needs to be pulled out and cleaned.

Oh, BTW it is kinda cool giving advise to BBS for once!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Chris

Old 03-25-2004, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Sometimes the starter drive likes to stick after sitting for awhile - pull it out and WD40 it while working it in your hand - should get back in working order --- UNLESS you have connected the battery up reverse polarity [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

On the rope starter - pull the plate off the pulley, clean it and grease it real good.

Old 03-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

One thing that people forget is that their is a drain in the bottom of the starter to drain sitting water after driving in it. After a while if the water is not drained it will start to corrode the bendix and starter contacts. If you drain it on a regular basis after driving in water you should not have a problem. The starters are serviceable. There is no need to buy a new starter. Same with the recoil. You have to get the water out.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I pull the drian plug after every ride. The last time I pulled it I got a decent amount of water out of it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] The funny thing is, when I went to start it when it was cold out, it did the same thing, just spun. I put a couple of heaters on it (figured it froze) and it finally engaged. Well, it was in the 60's today, so I dont think it is too cold. When I pull my rope, it is really dirty looking and wet (yet I did drain it?) Do I just take that cover off? Is that how I access the starter as well? Thanks for the help guys. This is something I have not had to deal with before. It is now ME that is in need of advise[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2004, 12:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: quadwrench
Sometimes the starter drive likes to stick after sitting for awhile - pull it out and WD40 it while working it in your hand - should get back in working order --- UNLESS you have connected the battery up reverse polarity [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

On the rope starter - pull the plate off the pulley, clean it and grease it real good.
Funny you should say that, I did by mistake (stupid![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] stupid![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] stupid![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]) hook up the battery backwards today

Old 03-26-2004, 01:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigBadScrambler
Originally posted by: quadwrenchSometimes the starter drive likes to stick after sitting for awhile - pull it out and WD40 it while working it in your hand - should get back in working order --- UNLESS you have connected the battery up reverse polarity [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]On the rope starter - pull the plate off the pulley, clean it and grease it real good.
Funny you should say that, I did by mistake (stupid![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] stupid![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] stupid![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]) hook up the battery backwards today
lol, your slipping in your old age[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2004, 01:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Keep rubbing it in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL

Quick Reply: starter woes.................