Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 03:20 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 polaris 400 sport

Originally posted by: 1fastpolaris
Originally posted by: dadsworry
It is in good running order....
question for you guys..... how can you tell if a used quad is almost ready too be rebuilt?
You will need to ask the person that is selling the sport if it has ever had the top end rebuilt. If it has not then you will need to do it right away. 2500 will be a fair price if the top end has been done.
How can you tell him without looking at the quad, that if it hasn't had the top end done that it will need one right away? It may or may not need one, but to out right tell him it will need one right away, that's bad advise and information.

Old 04-03-2004, 04:32 AM
Pro Rider

Well now I don't think it's bad advice If it has not been done. I also feel it should be done right away because the 400 piston can break the skirt off no matter how well taken care of it is. They are known for this problem if it breaks It'll cost alot more later than a top rebuild and wiesco piston now. If it's bone stock and low hours maybe then I would chance it for a while.
I'm sure there are plenty of them still out there and fine with the stock piston. But it is something to be aware that you should do at some point.
The 400 is a great motor thats the only downside and a easy fix.

Jeff

Old 04-03-2004, 04:51 AM
Pro Rider

Also I think the 400 sport engine has a counter balance like the other 400's. And I have read on hear that when buying one you should check the counter balance oil for water/coolant. Something about a water pump seal that can leak into there.
Hopefully someone with more knowlage on this will chime in. Don't want to scare you away from it or anything sounds like a great quad and fair price. Just thought of checking that counter balancer oil[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jeff

Old 04-03-2004, 06:10 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Originally posted by: 1fastpolaris
Originally posted by: dadsworry
It is in good running order....
question for you guys..... how can you tell if a used quad is almost ready too be rebuilt?
You will need to ask the person that is selling the sport if it has ever had the top end rebuilt. If it has not then you will need to do it right away. 2500 will be a fair price if the top end has been done.
How can you tell him without looking at the quad, that if it hasn't had the top end done that it will need one right away? It may or may not need one, but to out right tell him it will need one right away, that's bad advise and information.
Because I am smart! I know what I am talking about! I Have 3 of the badest sport 400's around and I have the best mechanic around. With that backround thats how I can tell him that, so please don't come here and say to me that I am giving bad advice and information.........Thanks Jeff for your info....you are totatly correct.

Old 04-03-2004, 08:55 AM
CED
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2004, 09:02 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: JEFF10049
Also I think the 400 sport engine has a counter balance like the other 400's. And I have read on hear that when buying one you should check the counter balance oil for water/coolant. Something about a water pump seal that can leak into there.
Hopefully someone with more knowlage on this will chime in. Don't want to scare you away from it or anything sounds like a great quad and fair price. Just thought of checking that counter balancer oil[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jeff
Yes you need to check the oil for the counter balancer. I just replaced my seals and bearing. It wasnt that hard but becareful of the spanner nut on crank shaft. I had to replace mine along with the seal behind it because i damaged it. I love the 400. Has plenty of power stock for me. I mainly trail ride so I dont need to go 90 mph threw the woods. Check my pics and you can see the case apart.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Range Rover

Mine is a 99 and I paid $2,000 for it. It was in good condition runs great and also check to see if the oil injector is working properly. i had a cable broken on mine and didnt know about it until i took it off and put on a hotseat block off kit. It runs better on pre-mix and I know the oil is in the engine no matter what.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

I got mine for 2700

Old 04-04-2004, 01:47 AM
Quad Patrol

There is alot of good information here to do when looking for a used quad.

Dadsworry, if your concerned about the top end, have a mechanic check it out, he'll give you a hands on opinion on what the quad may or may not need. I wouldn't do it just because someone on the forum says to because his mechanic is the best. Unless you negotiate the price down to cover it. Lt. Dan

Old 04-04-2004, 12:09 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

The guy I got mine off of....wanted $2,200 it only had 50 hours on it....and it was a 4x4...and in very good shape. Me and the wife went and looked at it. I wanted it bad. I asked him what the bottom dollar was and he said $1900. So I took my buddy over to look at it....he's got a 2003 400. I went to the atm and got the money out. We went over there and flashed $1800 in his face....He took it..and threw in a o'neal helmet. So we loaded it up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

So if the guy wants the money bad he will take less for it. It wont hurt to try. If you can get it for less...then you will have some extra money for mods.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I love mine and they are alot of fun.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 98 polaris 400 sport