Old 04-08-2004 | 03:20 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default pred or rappy ?

which is better for trail riding and some mx

Old 04-08-2004 | 08:28 AM
Trailblazer
Default pred or rappy ?

You will get a lot of different replys to this one. MX, between the two, would have to go to the Predator. If you need/want reverse for trail riding, you might want to go with the Raptor. All in all, dollar for dollar, the Predator is an all around better quad.

Old 04-08-2004 | 08:47 AM
Trailblazer
Default pred or rappy ?

I have a 2004 Preddy and my buddy that I ride with has two 2004 Rappy's, so I can answer this one honestly:

Rappy: Great Low End grunt, good for trails, not good in stock condition for MX'ing, a little... actually quite tippy, VERY easy to wheelie, Gets good traction in pretty much everything with stock tires, Reverse Rev limiter SUCKS but can easily be bypassed

Preddy: Great top end power but lacks low end (Very two stroke'ish), VERY stable (wide and low), good MX machine for the weekend warrior that doesn't want to spend $7000.00 on a YFZ, decent in trails but a little bit wide, no reverse (doesn't bother me too often, but it's up to you), tires are great on dry ground but SUCK in snow or mud!!! (easily changed), not as easy to wheelie but can be done

I have raced my buddie MANY times with most wins going to the predator (he is 40 lbs heavier than me so I believe they are just too close to tell which is faster). The preddy feels faster than it is and the rappy feels slower than it actually is. The rappy is nice on trails when you have to lift the front end over a downed tree because the power band on the preddy will actually tend to make it spin. I love how stable the preddy is for powersliding (my cup of tea). The predator will make you feel and look like a better rider due to it's stability, but don't let it fool you, it'll eat up your leg just like the rest of them (personal knowledge). I love my predator and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but it does lack in some pretty important areas, and I feel the most important is the traction it doesn't get due to it's lack of weight transfer. Second most important to me is the weight of the thing. It only weighs 30 lbs heavier than my DVX 400 (ltz by arctic cat) but it feels like it's 100 lbs heavier.

My suggestion: ride them both and see if you can handle the rappy's tippyness. I personally don't feel stable at all on a rappy

Old 04-08-2004 | 11:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default pred or rappy ?

Ya, here in a couple of months I'll be buying a new quad...Im going to end up buying the rappy..only because I do a lot of trailriding and for me the reverse is a must...as for the tippyness. I hear that you can do some mods to help eliminate most of the tippy feeling. But to me they are both great quads...I know people who own both and they love both..Its just on your preference but I hear you can't go wrong with either

Old 04-08-2004 | 01:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default pred or rappy ?

Originally posted by: mebcop
I have a 2004 Preddy and my buddy that I ride with has two 2004 Rappy's, so I can answer this one honestly:

Rappy: a little... actually quite tippy

My suggestion: ride them both and see if you can handle the rappy's tippyness. I personally don't feel stable at all on a rappy
Most raptor riders learn to compensate for the slightly higher seat height with a little body language. The majority can easily control it after a few hours of riding. Its something that you have to get used to because it is a different feeling. It doesnt take much time or effort, you just have to learn.

Old 04-08-2004 | 05:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default pred or rappy ?

I agree with the fact that people who own the rappy get used to them, cuz my buddy is a great rider on his. I think the reason that it feels so tippy to me is because I'm sooo used to my preddy and then I ride his rappy for 2 minutes. I will also admit that I do like the low end grunt when climbing hills and duning. The preddy is nice but u have to keep the revs up so high all of the time to stay on the cams and in the power. I'm gonna add a pure polaris pipe and hope that helps with the low end. I'll let you know how it works

Old 04-08-2004 | 06:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default pred or rappy ?

Predator, thats a no brainer.... Why do you think there are rumors about the discontinuing of the raptor in 05.... Go with the predator, not only becuase I have one but becuase Iv rode yamadogs and they can not compete like the pred does

Old 04-08-2004 | 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default pred or rappy ?

mebcop, have you tried gearing it down. My brother just bought a 04 Pred, and in stock trim, the low end could be better. Then he put on a 13 tooth front and a 38 rear sprocket, and then 22" Kenda Klaws. Now he has a hard time keeping the front end down. The gearing change gave him all the low end that he could ask for. The Pred is a lot quicker, and beats my V with no problem.

The Klaws made a huge improvement over the stockers in every department. So for $150, my brother say's it feels like a different atv.

Old 04-08-2004 | 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default pred or rappy ?

I run 13/38 on mine. I ride mostly on the rocky trails in the mountains at Windrock in Tennessee. What a huge difference. It makes it so much easier to blip the throttle and hop over rocks and logs. The single best mod I've done.

I do have to ask though...wouldn't going to a larger tire in the rear negate the drop in a tooth in the front and one in the rear?

Old 04-08-2004 | 08:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default pred or rappy ?

Originally posted by: fidge1
Predator, thats a no brainer.... Why do you think there are rumors about the discontinuing of the raptor in 05.... Go with the predator, not only becuase I have one but becuase Iv rode yamadogs and they can not compete like the pred does
Fidge, there are no rumours, just one kid who was lied to. You never miss a chance to put down the raptor. It doesnt bother me that you are biased and refuse to see positive attributes in other machines. What does bother me is you spreading your ignorance to others.

Quick Reply: pred or rappy ?