Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Slow leak in tire

Old 04-15-2004, 11:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow leak in tire

I have a 04.5 Polaris Sportsman and have noticed that one tire in particular has a slow leak. By slow leak I mean, I can inflate the tire to 5 psi on Sunday and by Friday it might read 2.5 - 3.0 psi. Is this a common thing that I can expect? I checked the valve stem with soap bubbles and saw nothing. I also looked the tire over and could not find anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2004, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: gooseman
I have a 04.5 Polaris Sportsman and have noticed that one tire in particular has a slow leak. By slow leak I mean, I can inflate the tire to 5 psi on Sunday and by Friday it might read 2.5 - 3.0 psi. Is this a common thing that I can expect? I checked the valve stem with soap bubbles and saw nothing. I also looked the tire over and could not find anything. Any suggestions?

its probablly not a seated bead. try filling the tire to a higher pressure like 40 pounds or so and hit the side of the tire with a rubber mallet to see if you can get it to seat again. if all else fails try some slime in there. otherwise see if the dealer will fix it free of charge, the guy will do it here because i go my quad from him but i dont know about the dealers around your area

Old 04-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Polaris500HO4x4
Originally posted by: gooseman

its probablly not a seated bead. try filling the tire to a higher pressure like 40 pounds or so and hit the side of the tire with a rubber mallet to see if you can get it to seat again. if all else fails try some slime in there. otherwise see if the dealer will fix it free of charge, the guy will do it here because i go my quad from him but i dont know about the dealers around your area
yep. have to agree with that. good luck.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Trailblazer

I had a problem with one of my rear tires. Took it to a local tire shop and they applied bead sealant. 3 days later the tire was low. Took it to the dealer TWICE and they did the same thing. Didn't hold either time. Finally I bought some slime type stuff and put that in. I took the tire off and laid it on the side that was leaking to work the slime around the bead. I haven't had to put air in the tire since. That was 4 months ago. I ordered the product from Highlifter. This stuff says it works for bead leaks, whereas I think the greem Slime product states that it's not for bead leaks. Although I think people have used it successfully for that. Also, I have not noticed any tire balance issues when riding at higher speeds.

Here's the slime I ordered if interested....
http://www.highlifter.com/store/Air-...e-Sealant.html

Old 04-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

Had a similar problem, took it to the tire place and they pulled it off the rim then cleaned the impacted dirt off the rim and tire....the dirt was just enough to keep the bead from sealing 100%....best of all, they charged me nothing! I love local shops!!!! Be sure to support one!

Old 04-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know if i would use slime. I have seen a lot of posts on here about slime and have seen many people say that the quad will start to wobble at higher speeds because of the slime. Just my 2 cents but go ahead and try if you want. Although it shouldn't be a problem if you just cruise at lower speeds.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Slime can cause a slight wobble at high speeds. If you try to reseat the bead, take a mallet and try to loosen the bead first, then spray some soapy water into the bead. then take a tie down a wrap the center of the tire and tighten it, then inflate it to the recommendation on the tire for seating the bead. never inflate an atv tire to a high pressure without some sort of tire restraint!