Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

8 ply tires on 400 Eiger

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 ply tires on 400 Eiger

New to the forum, but have lurked for a year or so. Somewhat new to ATV ownership...as in 2 years. I own a 2006 Eiger 400. Time for new tires. I'm looking at Kenda Bearclaw K587 8 ply for replacement. I've read a couple of things about added weight of the tires etc. Going from the OEM tires to these what are my gains and losses? I was drawn to the tires for the duability of 8 ply because I use my Eiger for light trail, snow plowing and ice fishing. Is the added weight of the 8 ply an issue? Thanks for any help you can lend.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like pretty much everyone that bought them loves them as these amazon owner reviews show except for that one buyer that got sent 2 different tires. Most radial tires are much more expensive as well. http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-K587-Tra...s&pageNumber=4
8ply might be a bit of overkill though.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:45 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

8ply Pretty heavy for a 376cc, I never had problems with 6 ply or even 2ply. Maxxis Zillas are the lightest 6 ply tires out there.

8ply might be ok for a SXS.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
8ply Pretty heavy for a 376cc, I never had problems with 6 ply or even 2ply. Maxxis Zillas are the lightest 6 ply tires out there.

8ply might be ok for a SXS.
Zillas probably would be a better choice here. Much lighter for sure and less expensive. I think it said the 25x10x12 rear tire in this weighs 26 lbs, about the same as a mud lite xl of the same size. The Zilla weighs less than 20 lbs for the same size. They're only slightly heavier than the stock tires. I know you said you put them on your Grizzly 350 and it has plenty of power and that was the 26" size as well, which is still lighter than this new bearclaw. As I read more of the reviews, yes most of them are from side by side owners. Rhino, Rzr, Ranger and Maverick owners. Much heavier machines with a lot more power. Many people put radial tires on side by sides as many towns allow them to be driven legally on city streets so the better ride and longer tread life on pavement make them a better choice. If a tire works well on a side by side, a much lighter quad will probably not be heavy enough for the tire to perform well. The sidewall will probably be too stiff. These are a very heavy duty tire no doubt but might not be the best for your quad.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I trail ride, I end up on a lot of packed gravel roads too. Seemed to rough my oem's up pretty quick. Same on my Honda. I see the point on overkill, and not enough give in side walls. What would be my best bet for ice and gravel road wear in a six ply? I was looking at bear claw 6 ply before I found the 8 ply.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:48 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Actually the 587 radials in the 25" are not a bad price and weight. Kenda Bearclaw HTR fr 21lbs ,rears 25lbs.

About the weight of 27" Zillas Maxxis Zilla

Old 07-22-2015, 02:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

These are probably the lightest radial tires. Bighorns are radials but these look to have much better traction than Bighorns. ITP makes radial mud tires too but they're much more expensive and heavy as well.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:59 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

You have to careful with weigh on smaller displacement ATVs.
I was at my Yamaha dealer getting a CV boot and they had these 26" tires on sale that I never heard of. I lifted one up and it weight more then my 25" mounted on a rim.

Even on a powerful ATVs the axles, CVs and drivetrain componets are under more stress with over sized tires. Even if power loss is not a factor for them.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Even on something like a Grizzly 660, I honestly think sticking with tires close to stock size(and weight) is best. I've seen too many cv axles and wheel bearings worn out because of oversized, heavy tires. The ride is horrible too. Oversized tires with huge lugs just make the machine shake on hard-packed stuff. If you ride primarily in deep mud, then I guess you need oversized mud tires. For me mud is ok but I don't go out seeking it. Same for deep water. If I have to go through it I will. If I can go around it, then I will choose that option. Oem tires are usually not very aggressive and cheap as well. Like Yamaha for instance, they basically put the same tire on every 4x4 quad. I'm sure they get a great deal on the tires from the tire company for doing that. The Grizzly actually has or at least used to have decent stock aluminum wheels, not sure about the newer models. They were very lightweight and actually looked decent too. I've picked up one of them without a tire on it and I think it can't weigh more than 2-3 lbs at most, very light. Some of the steel wheels or forged aluminum weigh at least 10 lbs per wheel or more, some even 15 lbs. That's a big difference.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Many of the farmers round here go for oversized tyres. Executioners are the most popular but riding on asphalt or concrete is like being on Belgian Pave with them on. The Suzuki 450 to 750 is a lot lighter on the steering with fat front tyres rather than standard, no idea why. I've just re-ringed an old Eiger that has had Executioners on for years with no transmission problems.

Quick Reply: 8 ply tires on 400 Eiger