Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front Sprocket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2000, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While trying to tighted the front chain on my three chain atv, I pulled a brilliant move and broke the front sprocket . Lets not get into details on the scew up, just say it was stupid. Anyhow, I need to remove the front sprocket in order to replace it. How does it come off of the shaft? It looks like there is a coiled piece of metal inserted into the shaft between the sprocket and the u joint. How does this come out? If I have to pound it out, how in the heck do you get it back in? Any help on this one would be appreciated.

Old 07-25-2000, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Hey man, you owe me. I called my dealership for you, and the guy in service said that you use a punch that's roughly the same O.D. as the roll pin you're referring to. He said it's hard to get started moving, but that once it gets moving, it comes on out of there pretty easily. Don't use a punch much smaller than the roll pin, as it will tighten up the roll pin. He said it went back in much easier than it comes out. So, good luck. I've noticed those on my sp500, so the call really wasn't just for you, since I've tinkered with trying to get one out myself before. Hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2000, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Walexa

Thanks for replying. Your a life saver. I tried using a smaller punch and quickly figured out that was not a good idea. I will find a punch that is roughly the same size as the OD and get it out that way. I'm getting ready to call the dealer and order the parts, hopefully they won't take to long to get. Thanks again for helping some of us that are not very mechanically gifted

Old 07-25-2000, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Magnum....
This is ALOT easier than it looks...
First thing is to run the front chain adjuster all the way to one end..(its been awhile, so I dont remember which end) By doing this, you will position the sprocket shaft at its highest point.. This step is crutial so that you will be able to clear the lower frame with the sprocket.
2). Drive that roll pin out, and on my Scrambler, I hoisted the front end up and allowed the a-arms to hang free..(unloaded the front end) With the A-Arms hanging free, there is clearance to pull the half-shaft off the end of slpined end of the sprocket shaft. There should be a spring washer in there.. Maybe so Maybe no.. Anyway, then you can remove the busted sprocket.
3). Re-install everything... Make sure you remember to put the chain AROUND the sprocket when you are re-installing it.. The roll pin can be reused as long as its not cracked or too badly distorted.
I would recomend applying anti-seize to the splines before reinstalling the half-shaft to the Sprocket shaft.
If it seems that you are stretching the CV joint when you are trying to reinstall it, simply place a jack under that a-arm and slowly lift it as you guide the shaft onto the splines.. MAKING SURE THE ROLL PIN HOLES ARE ALIGNED...
Anyway, thats pretty much it.. adjust all your chains afterwards... and grease..
Oh, the sprocket is about $20.00 I think..

Old 07-25-2000, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Mudmachine and Walexa

Thanks for all your advice. I followed Muds step by step procedure and had the old sprocket off in about 20 minutes. Now I have to wait till next Tuesday to get one from the local Polaris dealer. I should have gotten it from Dennis Kirk. I would have except I figured I would mess up the roll pin and need a new one, so why not get the sprocket while I'm there. After following your advice, the roll pin is reusable after all. Great idea on dropping the A arm. I figured I would have to remove the entire shaft to get it off the axle. Once again, thanks for the help.