Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Project Blaster

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-1999, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently picked up a pretty sweet deal on a nice Blaster. I really enjoy riding the bike, but compared to my ATC250R, performance is somewhat lackluster. I hear people bag on the Blaster constantly, but the simple fact is, I love this bike! I am planning to go wild on my little Blaster and get a worthy machine out of the deal. I realize it will never be a 250R, but I feel I can make it a challenging machine for riders of any level. Here's what's on the plate for mods already done to the machine:
Pipe and Silencer
Boyesen Rad Valve
.020 Head Shave
Uni Filter
14 tooth front sprocket
18" Holeshots on the rear
Renthal Handlebars
AC bumper, skidplate, and grab bar
Douglas .190 all they way around

Future mods:
+2" Lone Star A-Arms
+2" Lone Star Swingarm
Dura-Blue adjustable axle
Work AT Steelers triple rates up front
Works Ultracross out back

These are the mods I have planned and will be gradually working on until next summer, when I plan to have the quad completed. One thing you may all notice is missing is an oil-injector block off kit. I like the oil injection and don't want to lose what I consider a nice feature. I also don't want to get into anymore motor mods--current mods make to power sufficient and I have not compromised reliabilty. When the time comes for top end work, then I may go with a slight overbore and a high compression piston, but for the time being, the motor is in excellent condition and I don't want to compromise reliability in the name of performance. Have I missed anything? Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Derek Osthoff

Old 12-03-1999, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Can't wait to see pics of the finished product! I love to see trick Blasters.

I don't think "slight" overbore will help you much power wise. I just got my Blaster put back together today (.5mm over) and rebuilding it just for the power increase is nearly worthless. Get it ported if the top end isn't warn out.

Old 12-15-1999, 01:44 AM
Range Rover

You probably dont want the oil injector. Especially with the mods. They run way too rich, and can fail causing major engine damage. Just a thought...
I took it off my wifes Blaster and mix 40:1 with Yamalube R...
Hope this helps

------------------

Old 12-15-1999, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

The oil injection is very reliable, did yours fail? The piston can fail to, should we take it off? What about every bearing in the moto, if any of them broke you would have major damage. Why does everyone give the oil injection such a bad rap?

If you want to lean out the oil ratio, how about mixing the oil you put in there with some gas? A 50/50 gas oil mix would lean her down to 40:1. I'm not sure what it would do to jetting, but its probably not to hard to get around.

What do mods have to do with it?

Old 12-15-1999, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

I have a blaster also....No my oil injection has never gone bad...But if it does...You have no way of knowing it..until you either melt a piston or notice a performance decrease.(that can apply to bearings etc)
All and all, I took mine off for the peace of mind of knowing that I have the right mixture going through the engine. That...and I thought it looked awful hanging off the rear of the bike the way it does. Good luck with the mods...It will be a viable little screemer when done..... Though I think the most noticable change will be the A-arms, swing and shocks.... It will handle much better and give you some extra ground clearance up front.

As far as to why the mods would make a diff.... Any time you start trying to spin a motor faster or beef up the compression. ( pipes, etc) wear and tear on the motor is twice as much than on a stock machine. Proper lubrication is critical to the life of an engine. The harder you ride...the more closely this should be watched. I myself would rather run an engine a bit rich as compared to lean. A piston costs alot more than a $15 block off kit. And since I already mix for the banshee....I might as well take the extra 2 seconds and mix for the blaster at the same time.

[This message has been edited by sAyIt_fmf (edited 12-15-1999).]

Old 12-15-1999, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

But, did your injection go bad? Did is show any signs that it could go bad? Has it been 100% reliable for you?

For me, it has been reliable. I agree it isn't beautiful, but thats not the point.

Yes a piston costs more than a block off kit, but the kit costs a lot more than nothing, which is what you pay to keep it. Its convenient. Its reliable.

How much extra stress will result from a pipe? None. A Rad valve? None. A uni filter? It will probably reduce stress by cleaning the air better. A slight bump in compression? A little, but not much. And what does it have to do with the injection? It doesn't care how much stress the motor is under.

Why is it that nobody trusts this part? Is is just that if it were to fail the results would be bad?

Say the spindle broke when landing from a jump. It would cost more than a new top end, and it puts you in danger. The axle? Swingarm? A-arms? I could go on and on. Nobody replaces them, or is worried about them breaking. And you'd have know way of knowing if these things were about to give out, unlees you noticed a crack. When's the last time YOU inspected these parts for cracks?

Get what I'm saying? There is no reason that you would take the injection off, unless you are going after weight savings, neitehr of you mentioned this, so I assume you aren't.

[This message has been edited by EdSmith (edited 12-15-1999).]

Old 01-01-2000, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your oil injector is run off of a NYLON gear...... enough said ???????

Old 01-03-2000, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

No.It has no record of breaking. It is RELIABLE. Get it?

People use graphite wheel spacers. They aren't afraid of those breaking. Whats wrong with nylon?