Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004 | 07:55 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Need your thoughts

Hey all im doing some engineering, i have a pull behind finsih mower 5ft cut . It is a great mower its made by befco i am currently mounting on the front of the sportsman so i can mow closer to all the barns and under the fences around the farm instead of backing up all the time. I currently built a mount for the front of the sportsman to adapt to the mower...i will be posting some pics of everything soon. But what i need is some thoughts on is because i made a mount plate under the sportsman with two pipes and the mower slides into those pipes for easy on and off attaching. The plate is bolted to the front diff (the back 2 bolts) with pieces of steal welded to the top of the plate to fit up into the frame to help take stress of the bolts when im turning so some of the pressure will be on the fram and just not the diff......what i am worried about is over time is hurting the diff because it is aluminum case..would you guys feel safe by bolting a plate to the diff? and do you think over time it will oblong the wholes? and then have to buy a new front diff...please help and i will take pics if someone wants me to post or send them via email...

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Luke

Old 04-26-2004 | 08:22 PM
RIP Dear Friend

You need to post some pictures because I sure wouldn't want the stress/weight on the differential.

What happens if you hit something solid with the mower where is the weak link?

Old 04-26-2004 | 08:36 PM
|
Range Rover

i know exactlly what your getting at, and that is what makes me very skidish about it, thats why i am working on someideas to go the whole length of the frame back to hitch, to get away from bolting to the front diff cuz i just dont like it, it looks neat and clean mount but i just dont like it...ahaha...so i guess its back to the drawing board.....even tho i have the ole scrap iron pil about exhausted from all the projects ive been working on....i guess ill have to make a run and get some angle iron...

I will post some pics tomrow morn sometime....i would now but im at work...

thanks all in advanced.

Luke

Old 04-26-2004 | 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

1. use chemicals to control grass around the barns and under the fences.
2. put the mower back where it belongs.
or
buy a lot more life insurance.

but always design for the worst that can happen.

(a mechanical engineer)

Old 04-26-2004 | 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

I would look at how the plow mount attatches and do something similar to that.

Old 04-26-2004 | 11:39 PM
|
Range Rover

ahhaha thats some great thoughts slags ahahha i never looked at it that way......besides i find more fun in engineering and using what i built then killing with chemicals.....besides i will prolly never use it that much its just a rainy day project that i did since its been to wet to get in the fields or do anything outside....

and in the long run i will end up pullin the darn thing again...but whats wrong with a lil trial and error.....ahah

Old 04-27-2004 | 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Like 95sport400 said, look at how a plow is mounted......Put 2 mounting points in the middle of the frame (one on each side, with heim joints so it'll "float"), and maybe even hook a winch up to it to lift the deck for tight turns. That's my brainstorm for the week........

Old 04-27-2004 | 02:38 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: fasternu
Like 95sport400 said, look at how a plow is mounted......Put 2 mounting points in the middle of the frame (one on each side, with heim joints so it'll "float"), and maybe even hook a winch up to it to lift the deck for tight turns. That's my brainstorm for the week........
That's my thoughts also[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2004 | 03:29 PM
|
Range Rover

Hey all thankyou for the replies...i did post some pics hopefully they will appear shortly....

i am doing away with the bolts in the front diff....and goin to make up a frame for like a plow.....just gotta make it so its easy on and easy off so when its time for muddin i will have factory ground clearance,,,,

and for the picking it up idea...i think i can design something for that but the deck is aweful heavy...i dont know if u can tell by the pics or not...this isnt a mower that cycle country sells ahahhah its heavy duty....and might pick the back end up off the ground ahah but i guess thats why they 4 wheel drive ahahhaha.....

thanks again for the brain storms...keep em coming...

Luke

Old 04-27-2004 | 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

Luke, I was just in Coudersport last week I will contact you next time i go up. Got some great places to ride and we are not far from the Starlight a.k.a. the Bomb shelter.

Quick Reply: Need your thoughts