Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Mod Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Mod Pics

Duneaholic glad to see you jumped in. I am still in the breakin stage right now. So not much to report on yet. I haven't installed the clutch kit yet. I thought I would wait until after breakin. Duneaholic give me a rundown of your breakin after mods.

Old 05-02-2004, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default New Mod Pics

I pretty much kept the clutching stock while breaking in. After the break-in I put more aggresive clutching in. While breaking in the bike I didn't really baby it or anything but didn't hammer it real hard either. Kinda middle of the road. I would give it full throttle for short bursts but not too long. I went through all the jetting ranges and found that the jetting was good on the needle (clip in the middle) but the main was way too rich for me. I had a 320 in it and the power really fell off on the top. Once I went down to a 280 it really came alive with excellent plug readings. I just had really bad throttle response. That's why I went with the 39pwk. I really didn't see a big big improvement as far as horsepower is concerned but the throttle response was quite a bit better. If whoever set up the bore did it tight then you might want to take it a little easier. When I broke my wifes in after the bore and port job I set it up really fat on the needle and main and man did it run like a dog until I got it broke in. But once it was and I jetted accordingly. Then man hold on.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2004, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default New Mod Pics

Rick did all the work and he sent the bored carb back with main jet #320 pilot #35 needle clip next to bottom slot with washer I'm sure it is fat in the middle and on top. It might be on the bottom too because I had to use choke before mods to start and now no choke needed. It has been raining here the past two days so I just waiting for it to stop. I have about 30 min. on it now. After a hour I will retorq jug and head down. Duneaholic did you do the jetting with or without clutch kit ?

Old 05-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default New Mod Pics

I did the jetting with it stock. I thought that it ran really well with the clutch set up that I had while breaking it in. I ran a HPD plain spring and stock weights. But when I was drag racing at the dunes it would just sit and spin a sec or two before it took off and so I went with the HPD red/yellow and really like it. My wifes setup uses the HPD plain and the s53 weights via Bubba297's reccomendation and man it runs really well. What elevation are you at? I'm at 3000' and the 300's were way too rich. The lower I went the better it ran. My wifes bike that is ported by Bubba has a 260 in it and the jetting is spot on.

Old 05-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Mod Pics

We are at about 700 ft. here. I clutch kit came with red/yellow primary spring, 58 weights and purple secondary spring. I also had Rick send a HPD plain and HPD brown primary springs in case the red/yellow was not right for our riding. I hope the weights work out ok or I might have to get something else.

Old 05-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Mod Pics

Hey if you like the HPD plain then the s53 weights are the ticket. The are cheap too. Around 5 bucks a peice from HPD.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Mod Pics

Got to put some breakin time on the 400 today. I don't think the jetting is that far off by looking at the plug. Kind of a dark brown color but that is as a whole as far as the throttle goes. I can give you a little ride report Duneaholic. This thing has got alot bigger stones then it had before the mods. I can be rolling about 5 mph or so and nail it and it will pull the front end up right now ! And this thing has a 4x4 heavy front end. After breakin and I getting the jetting and clutch settup right I can tell you I'll be more then happy with the outcome from the mods.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Mod Pics

The power gain sounds about right with the mods you now have. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-19-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Mod Pics

i used that high temp paint on my stock pipe as u can see in my pics.... on the can it said it could be used on car manifolds and i used it on my pipe and it like burnt off in like 15 mins around both ends, idk i thought car manifolds got hotter then fourwheelers tail pipes

Old 05-19-2004, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Mod Pics

I would reccomend a new muffler, it will let more hp flow through. Just my reccomendation because i have heard it before.