Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Shifter

Alright everyone, I was out playing in the mud this weekend and something weird happened. All you Sportsman owners know that in order to shift into 'Hi' or 'Park' you need to press on the foot brake. Well after mudding this weekend I no longer have to do that. I assume I just did something to the linkage but haven't had time to look yet. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to look for or if this should even be of any concern. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer

I am having the same problem on my sp600! I hope this doesn't become a trend! I called a dealer and they told me that they have seen this on a few bikes and that most of the time bleeding the brakes takes care of this, but after bleeding the brakes on mine I can still shift without the foot pedal. I hope someone has an answer soon.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey there boss,

That's interesting that the dealer said that, it seems kinda odd to me. What affect would the brakes have on shifting? I'm going to call my dealer this morning and see what he can tell me. I'll keep ya posted.

Old 05-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Trailblazer

whoppo,

Did you get a chance to call your dealer to see what he said. The reason that my dealer said this is that if the foot pedal is to low when you press it down it will not activate the spring to engage/disengage the transmission. It made sense on the phone until I looked at the bike, there is no way this should have an affect on things. I think that for some reason there is a release pin inside that may have broken or come loose. Does anyone know?

Old 05-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey ibdboss, I haven't heard back from my dealer yet but I got this from another forum. I know its a link for a 700, but its just a clearer picture than on the 600. This is what they said to do..."remove the plunger and clean it. Then lube it and reinstall. It is connected to the brake pedal with a spring." It's number 58 on the diagram.

http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N...N-700-GEARCASE

Old 05-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Range Rover

Whoppo you don't have to bleed the brakes look down by the foot brake when you press it down there it a spring that pulls a pin up on the tranny see if that pin moves in and out when you press on the foot brake it could be stuck out that would let you shift without pressing the brake

Old 05-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea, I thought the blake bleeding seemed weird. Thanks for the reply. I'll be checking that pin this weekend. It's probably just caked with mud and can't release. Thanks!