Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler rear brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler rear brake problems

I just got my 2003 Scrammy used a week ago and didn't really mind that the rear brake didn't work with the foot pedal as it was such a steal I really didn't care. I have come to find out that even the hand lever doesn'r operate the rear brakes either. I haven't spent much time looking at it as I have to keep it in storage, but I did pull both of the bleeder screws out after trying to bleed it with no success and both seem really clean yet you cannot blow through them. THere is brake fluid right up to the screws, btu I cannot get pressure in the rear caliper. Is there some trick that I don't know about, I am used to cars, not atv's so much. I figure the original owner probably disabled it as the rest of the bike is set up more for racing, rather than trail riding and I have heard of people disabling the rear brakes on Polaris. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

as far as i know the rear brake pedal is a seperate system from the front lever with its own bleeder screw. It should be easy to trouble shoot and see if you can get it working first. Is your caliper siezed? good luck!!!

Old 05-12-2004, 07:42 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bleeder screw closest to the frame(insideone)is for the foot pedal.You need to bleed them seperatly and on the foot one be sure the resivoir is full all the time.

Old 05-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

the hand lever operates three brake pistons (front left, front right, rear)

the foot lever operates the rear brake piston only,,,using a seperate brake line/reservoir

sometimes the seal can go bad (in the rear caliper) and force brake fluid past the piston into the hand brake system.

stand on the foot lever,,,,,and then squeeze the hand lever.......does the foot pedal tighten???

you will have to blead them seperately,,,,any possible get used to using the lever and pedal at the same time for max braking power

(Ive had the same problem with our scrammy)

Old 05-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, first of all,,,when you squeeze the hand lever...are you getting any brakes at all??? and when you push the foot lever...do you have any resistence in it??? next, if your 2003 is anything like my 2000.....you will two bleeder valves side by side...(I little off balanced but you'll know what I meen) the one on the left is the hand brake and the one to the right is the foot brake (this is looking at your quad from the rear)....now I had problems with the foot brake...first of all make sure you have brake pads that are good and not wore all the way.........but here is the best way to bleed those bleeders....do one bleeder at a time..

here is what you need....one foot of clear plastic tubing that will fit over the bleeder valve tightly...some brake fluid..and probably a small funnel.....

Start with the hand brake...remove the top plate for the brake fluid resevoir on your handlebars...make sure its full...loosen the bleeder with the foot of tubing on it...at the other end of the tubing, place it in the brake fluid jug (so you can reuse the break fluid when it poors out)...start pumping the hand brake untill it starts spitting out of bleeder and running through the hose...watch your resevoir because you have to keep filling it up with brake fluid (never let it run out completly) refill it and keep pumping.......do this about 5 times...the plastic tubing will also let you see if there is any air inside....when you notice that nothing but fluid is running through the tubing which I usually fill my resevoir up about six times and run it through..then tighten the bleeder up...remove the hose and do this exact same proceedure for the foot lever and the other bleeder valve...then when your all done..make sure you have break fluid in both of your resevoirs (handlebar, and by the foot lever) make sure the caps on them are on and the bleeders are tightened back up...this solved all my brake problems on the scrammy...........

Hope this helps you......good luck

Old 05-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Range Rover

Well I just got back from the storage place where I keep it. I tried bleeding the foot pedal first, plenty of fluid in the res, and I took the bleeder all the way out to make sure it would gravity bleed and it did trickle a little. I tried bleeding it though and nothing out of the bleeder. After about 5 times of that I tried the hand lever. I took the bleeder all the way out and same thing as foot pedal, a little trickle came out so it is flowing and the res was full. I tried bleeding and while my wife was pumping the lever fluid just trickled out the bleeder hole, no matter how tight I made it. I switched bleeder screws and the one that was on the foot brake still will not bleed, the one that was on the hand lever will trickle out the bleeder hole when I hit the foot brake now. I am ordering 2 new bleeder screws here in a few as neither one seems to be functioning right in my opinion, but I have to admit I have never heard of this before. By the way, I have always worked on cars and these bleeder screws are like none I've ever seen before. They don't have the chamfer at the end to seal when you tighten them, and they have almost like a schrader valve inside of them as they are not hollow like most. Either way I will need at least one, the one that keeps flowing and might as well get the second to make sure. Any more help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys

Old 05-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you take the bleeder screws out one at a time and hold your finger overr the hole while somone pumped the brake to see if it was getting any presure?

Old 05-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Range Rover

it is getting pressure as when I had my wife pump and hold them I would pull the bleeder out enough to let a little seep past the threads and I could even get a few air bubbles out that way. I ordered the screws tonight, were $10 a piece so there must be something special about them as the other models like my sportsman were only $2.50. Figure I'll try it with the new screws then take it to the shop if I cannot figure it out from there as I want rear brakes and don't have all the time in the world to work on them.

Old 05-13-2004, 02:07 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: crpadiem1
it is getting pressure as when I had my wife pump and hold them I would pull the bleeder out enough to let a little seep past the threads and I could even get a few air bubbles out that way. I ordered the screws tonight, were $10 a piece so there must be something special about them as the other models like my sportsman were only $2.50. Figure I'll try it with the new screws then take it to the shop if I cannot figure it out from there as I want rear brakes and don't have all the time in the world to work on them.
wow,,,not really sure what to say

Quadracer18 pretty much layed it out

not sure about this bleeder problem your having.....

no need to take them out for a bleeding

Old 05-13-2004, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider

My dealer told me that the 03 scrammy's came with willwood calipers which is probably why they are so spendy!!! once you get the new valves in let us know how it goes

Chris

Quick Reply: Scrambler rear brake problems