Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

A mod that I have not seen here yet, a shock from a snowmobile!? Pics in my gallery

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A mod that I have not seen here yet, a shock from a snowmobile!?

I just got done with a mod that I am pretty excited about. I have a Friend that wrecked his 99' Polaris ProX600. One of the front "ski" shocks were untouched. The more I looked at it, the more I thought it may work. The only thing that I doubted about it was that the spring is considerably smaller. But on the same hand, it had about 3" of more adjustment and it is a double rate spring. The pro of this shock is that it is a clicker shock( adjustable dampening). I thought what the hell, I paid him 15bucks for it, brought it home and started fitting it. It was much more simple than I thought it would be. First, I couldn't mount the shock in the same way as the stocker. I had to turn it so that the canister was pointed toward the front. In doing this, the canister will now hit the airbox. This gave me an excuse to get rid of it, along with a performance gain(no more water holes for me). On the other hand I could have mounted it in the stock way, but about 4" into the travel, the canister would hit the cross brace under the seat. I could have cut it out and repositioned it, but the airbox sounded a better idea. Next, I had to grind one side of the bottom mount to match the radius on the stocker. Once that was done, the bushings in the top mount fit right in the FX shock with no modification and the bottom one I used the FX bushing and found two washers and put them on both sides of the bushing to make a perfect fit. I will need a chain tensioner to take up the extra slack from the added travel from the new shock.

Why you ask!?!

The FX shock is about an 1 1/2" longer, which means that I have about double that(about 3-3 1/2" more) in travel when mounted, compared to the stock.

I don't have to crank the spring up to compensate for the lack of dampening, and with the added travel, what a difference that makes. I can still crank up the double rate spring of the FX shock if I want. Plus, I got rid of that fugly lavender spring, lol.

I have opened a whole new world of adjust ability and the thing hooks up much better, cos now it squats like it should, and then when I jump, it isn't bouncing. I can not tell you how much a difference that this has made.

As soon as I get my frigging digital camera back from my sis in law, I will take some pics. It looks pretty good to. You could probably find something similar at a snowmobile salvage yard....

Old 05-13-2004, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

how high does the back of the bike sit compared to stock?

Old 05-13-2004, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

With me sitting on it, it is the same as stock. Without, and at the settings I have at the moment, I have it so the spring hold it at about 2 1/2" higher than normal with about an 1" of sag. If I crank the spring, it is about 1" higher than that @ about 3 1/2" higher than stock. The thing is, I can adjust it to lower it below stock and crank the dampening to compensate, like the suspension in a monster truck. Not to compare this to a monster truck. The point is that when I am riding it, the ride height is the same, but I have 3 1/2" more travel. The traction is unbelievable.

Old 05-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Pictures pending approval! How long does that usually take?

Old 05-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is one work of art!!!!!!! i wonder if it will be good for racing? im gonna prepare my trailblazer next season to race!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2004, 11:26 PM
RIP Dear Friend

That really does look good[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

looks good

why havent you cut off your battery box yet?

Old 05-16-2004, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

that looks sweet, thats a very nice machine u have there.

Old 05-16-2004, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: scrambler123
looks good

why havent you cut off your battery box yet?
That's tomarrow! I also plan on cleaning the sprockets and chains and shin things up a bit. I am going to make a open guard for the side chain... It ain't done, just showing progress... Thanks for the complements so far.

One thing I did forget to mention about this mod is that a chain tensioner is a must!!!

IT'S REMOVED!!!!

Old 05-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default A mod that I have not seen here yet, a shock from a snowmobile!? Pics in my gallery

Originally posted by: tbsleeper
that is one work of art!!!!!!! i wonder if it will be good for racing? im gonna prepare my trailblazer next season to race!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Not so sure about racing, but it would be great for desert or dune riding. With the added travel, it acts like a OffRoad Baja Truck suspension depending on how light or tight you have the spring.