Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My 00 Xpedition lost power

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2000, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

went riding today, and went through some real deep water. My machine would lose power whenever the rpm's were up, like on the top end of each gear. I am almost sure this is due to water, but I was wondering if it is electrical (stater plate) or possibly the air filter which was wet when I checked it. Could water have gotten into the carb?

I am going to dry out the air filter and try it again , or is it a throw away after it gets wet( btw it is a stock filter).

i am looking to replace the air filter with an aftermarket brand. Any suggestions

thank you
Mark

Old 07-30-2000, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

Uni and Moose are the best aftermarket filter for your money. Dont know what is wrong with you ATV.

Old 07-30-2000, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

But the kn and outerwear is water proof so if you go through alot of water i would do that.

Old 07-30-2000, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

My 300EX does the same thing. Every time I hit water fast or go through deep water it just bogs out and wants to die.

Old 07-31-2000, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

the stock filter is pretty much trash once its been wet. Id go with a K/N filter and Outerwears or the stock outer skin will do fine. I bet thats all thats wrong , might want to drain your carb to get rid of any water that may be in there

Old 07-31-2000, 09:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys,

I am kinda new to the 4 wheeler thing and I appreciate the advise. Now, someone said that I should drain the carb. Is this a difficult thing or not? I would appreiciate any info!!!

Thanks again
mark

Old 07-31-2000, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

There is a screw near your idle screw that you can
open up to drain the carb. Ya, throw away the stock filter. I really like my K&N air filter. I put about 60 miles on my xped. on friday and sat. I tried to go sunday to, but 2 things made me end up going home. 1. it was hotter then a pistol out there on sunday. To hot I thought. and 2nd. I hear
some kind of noise near my left rear tire. At home
I jacked up my atv and put a block under my atv and took the tire off. The left rear tire is where
one of my breaks is too. The other rear tire has no break. The pad looked ok to me, I think. I did read to that with alluminum rims I should replace the stock lug nuts with tapered lug nuts and I have not done that yet. Every thing looked correct, so not sure what was wrong.

When you say deep, like how deep. So far my atv has not done that but I have not submerged yet either. 2000 polaris xpedition 425 cc 5 speed.

Trending Topics

Old 07-31-2000, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

If yo try to "splash" through water...as in go through a sma;ll puddle too fast....the water will go right in the airbox, you might want to slow down for those. That situation is the only time Ive had water in my airbox.

Draining the carb is easy as Chet said, just look on the left side of the carb for a phillips screw, its near a small hose that hangs down, thats where the gas/water/etc will come out when you loosen the screw.

Also, since youre a "rookie" I'll give you a few pointers..
grease your machine OFTEN..especially if you like playin in the water and mud..make sure its a good quality grease such as Slick50, I hear the guys at Highlifter recommend/use this grease. Greasing before every ride is good and it doesnt take very long to do after you get used to where all the fittings are.

Look at my pics in the link below to see why I believe in greasing often...lol

Old 08-01-2000, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

Rnagerchet,
Check and see if the hub is loose. If the hub is loose it make a funny clicking sound. Kinda sounds like a set of WELD wheels on a truck,if you hace ever heard them do it. I have heard them click even when they are tight. To eliminate the noise take the hub off and put anti-seize on the splines and put the hub back on. Clicking should go away. Also check the roll pin in the rear driveshaft. When it breaks the driveshaft will make some weird sounds.

Old 08-01-2000, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks 425xpedition, I ended up having my dad drop
off my xped. for a 1000 mile check up. If they dont find it, I will check when I see my atv again. Its 140 miles north of me right now. I think next year, I will buy from highlifter, that power kit for our xpeditions. They are just a little over 400.00 for them.

Say 425xpedition, how is your lift kit holding up?
we have heard about how it wears down tie rod ends. Is yours a 2" or 4" lift?

Since you have put on a power kit already, The only thing left you could do that I could think of
to give you more power. Would be to replace your steel rims with aluminum rims. When I switched from stock 25" tires/steel rims to 26" mudbugs/itp
magnum billet aluminum rims, I did not loose anything by going to a larger tire. The rims must have made the difference.

ps: with my chestnut color xped. those crome aluminum rims look really really sharp. I know that you have switched to a yellow body. Well it just so happens, that one day in the past we took off one of my tires with the new rim on it and put it on jamie's yellow sp500 to see what it looks like. Well it looks just as sharp contrast with yellow as it does with chestnut.

rangerchet

Quick Reply: My 00 Xpedition lost power