Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Squeal on Y2K 325 Mag 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2000, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone else have a squeal in the front end of their Polaris.
My 325 Mag 4x4 has a throttle related squeal somewhere in the front steering area. It is really hard to isolate. I've had this bike since it was new and it has done this ever since then.
I know mine isn't the only bike that does this because I heard another Polaris(not sure of the model)driving by our campsite that was doing something similar to mine.
It seems to be happening at lower speeds and goes away with higher RPM's and higher speeds.
Help, it's driving me crazy trying to isolate it.
Anybody that has experienced this will know what I mean.

Old 07-31-2000, 12:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2000 MAG 325 4X4 and mine has a noticable squeal too. It seems to be louder after the motor warms up. Like you said, you can hear me coming. I took it to the dealer and they say it is normal. I dont think it is. I need help on this one too.

Old 07-31-2000, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer

Styx,
Oh, thank God, somebody else knows what I'm talking about.
This squeal seems to be vibration related, and on the 325 Mag I can understand because it vibrates pretty good. But as for it being "NORMAL", come on, the dealer has to be kidding.
Did he say it was NORMAL just on the 325 Mag or was it just NORMAL on all Polaris models?
I sure wish I could have caught the guy on his Polaris that was doing the same thing so I could have seen what model of Polaris he was riding so we could have compared notes.
I can't believe that this vibration squeal is normal. There has got to be a fix for it.

Old 07-31-2000, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Old 08-01-2000, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

i beleive the vibrations are mostly caused by the fact that the engine doesnt have a counter balance..ive been told that by a few people

Old 08-02-2000, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

I have the same machine, the noise is coming from the brakes. I'm surprised to hear about the vibrations, mine runs very smooth. Some people on this sight have had the brakes replaced under warranty.

Old 08-03-2000, 02:05 AM
Trailblazer

I might need to add something here. Mine sounds like the "squeal" is in the engine itself, because I can hear it while its standing still in neutral with the motor running.

Old 08-03-2000, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

STYX....Will the noise go away when you shift into gear?

Old 08-04-2000, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer

No the noise is there when I put it into gear also. I actually asked the service center mechanic about "belt whine". (I wasnt sure what that sounded like). Thats when he said it sounded normal. After listening to it more, it sounds more like metal to metal squealing in the engine area. Gets LOUDER as engine speed increases but does NOT change pitch. They have another new MAG 325 there now. Im going to go start it up and listen to it.

Old 08-04-2000, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer

I know the Squealing noise isn't the brakes and it isn't the belt. It is almost like a chirping noise. Kind of like STYX said, a metal to metal noise, although, I can't say it is the engine making it. It just sounds like it is somewhere in the steering post area. I'm thinking of removing the plastic so I can get a better look at it.
I had it doing it at a stand still with no brakes, in gear, with minimal throttle, just enough to get it to start moving and it was doing it....absolutly maddening.
I'm sure the fact that the 325 has no counterbalace on the engine contributes to the problem, or, in fact causes it. But for it to be a NORMAL thing is unacceptable, which is too bad because I really like this bike, It's a good machine.

Quick Reply: Squeal on Y2K 325 Mag 4x4