Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2K 400/ Hot Seat Performance parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2000, 03:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that Thejoka already has a posting here in the forum that is similar to mine, but I wasn't sure if he had the same brand name products that I do. I bought my parts from Hot Seat Performance (www.hotseatperformance.com), and I have already contacted them about the problems I'm having. When I received my performance kit (Hypershift clutch kit, HSP pipe, HSP silencer, K/N filter), the instructions came with main jetting adjustments to be made, but didn't say anything about changing the pilot jet.

With the stock 35 pilot jet still in my 400, it is now running very rich in the low and mid ranges and somewhat normal in the higher ranges. When I called HSP they told me that I needed to take the stock 35 pilot jet down to a 20-25 pilot jet, depending on operating temp, altitude, etc.

My question is, does this sound correct? Doesn't this seem a little lean? I've been searching everywhere, and haven't been able to find any information to support the information that HSP is giving me and my dealer isn't much help. I'm sure I'm not the only person out there with a 400 that has purchased parts from HSP and having similar problems. Please, if there’s anyone out there that had this same problem, let me know if you can help and what you did to correct the situation.

Also, just as a note, the pipe HSP sent me DOES NOT fit my machine at all. The pipe is smack up against my heat shield and let me tell you, it definitely gets warm after a few minutes of riding. The dealer that put these parts on noticed this right away and called HSP, they told him that this was normal on the 2000 machines and that the plastic wouldn’t melt. I found this strange since the instructions that came with the pipe said it was my (the consumer’s) responsibility to make sure that there is at least ¼” of space around all areas of the pipe and silencer. It’s hard to do this when even HSP knows the pipe is going to be right up against the heat shield.

Anyway, besides that, I’m really concerned about changing the pilot jet so drastically without knowing if it’s really going to work. Besides the fact that I’m going to pay the dealership $40/hr to do this, I’m really concerned about permanently damaging my machine, this is what I’d really like to avoid. If there’s anyone out there that can help me, please respond. Thanks a million in advance.

Jim Dedik

2000 Scrambler 400

Old 08-01-2000, 10:33 AM
Range Rover

I just run with no heatsheild but I wear riding pants and boots so the heat is no problem.
and that chrome HPD pipe just looks to cool with no heat sheild,Iam not sure about hsp set up but the hpd pipe uses a 30 p-jet sorry I couldnt help you more

Old 08-01-2000, 12:10 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Azelmo, I appreciate the advice. I'm a new comer to the sight and so far I've been very pleased with the info I've picked up here. So far everyone I've talked to (except HSP, of course) has told me to try a 30 pilot jet. I'm not an expert by any means, but 20-25 really sounds "lean". Anyways, thanks again. I think I'm going to try HSP again, maybe I'll talk to someone different this time.

Old 08-01-2000, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Your sport must really haul! I am getting my HPD piped Scram back in about one hour from the dealer...can't wait! Maybe the porting and others this fall.

Old 08-01-2000, 04:11 PM
Trailblazer

Ugggh, Jim missed the Salamanca Dice Run because his machine is not right. If anyone here can help him, please do. We can't have him missing anymore rides with the fellahs. Its just not cool. Talk to yah tonight Dedik.

Old 08-01-2000, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would not be scared to drop from a 35 down to a
25,however I would start with my air screw set at
1/4 turn out and tune from there.

Old 08-01-2000, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

jdedik

I am glad I am not the only one in this same boat. With my 96 400 Scrambler, I had to cut the heat shield away with a jigsaw to get my HPD pipe in. The instructions said to do this, and there is no change to the apprearance once the rear plastics are on.

I have just got a new needle (6CEY6) and will try this with a 260MJ and a 35PJ. If is to rich low and mid, then I will try the 30PJ that was included with the pipe.

Good luck

TheJoka
400Scram

Old 08-01-2000, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

Thejoka

Hope everything works out with your machine. Unfortunately the kit I bought didn't even come with a different pilot jet. HSP said they didn't experience the same problem on earlier models, therefore they didn't feel the pj needed changed. Hopefully some of the things they (HSP) recommended to me today work.

What they told me, and I'm in no way claiming to be a pro, just a guy willing to try whatever it takes to get my machine running right, was to try removing the air box cover and running the machine a little bit just to see if restricted air flow is part of my problem. Also, the guy mentioned the clutch kit settings may also be one of the causes of my low end lose of power dilemma.

He basically recommended that I go to 25-30 pj, the drop in filtercharger (if removing the cover on the filter boxes improves riding at all), and possibly adjusting the clutch springs. Again, I'm not an expert, and for all I know this guy may just been trying to sell me parts I don't need (drop in filtercharger $47 HSP). Although he did sound sincere. I'll be sure to keep this posting updated so everyone knows what fixes my sick 400. Thanks again everyone for your replies.

Old 08-08-2000, 11:29 AM
Range Rover

How did your new jets work out. I bought an HSP pipe over the weekend and it seems to be displaying the same things. Real rich on the bottom. It loads up pretty bad just cruising at half throttle. I changed my needle and main jet but the dealer told me the pilot jet was ok but I am pretty sure it needs to be changed to. Did you use any of the spacers on the pipe for more low end? I used one to see if it did anything. There is basicaly no low end at all only some mid-range and a bunch on top. I don't like my clutch set up either. It doesn't engage untill way to high in the rpm's. I can't even use reverse without hitting the over ride button. I would like something that pulls hard down low and through the midrange and ok on top. The trails I ride are fairly steep and rocky. Top end power is not very useful. I still like the top end speed for the dunes and fire roads but low and mid rane seem of more importance where I live.

Old 08-08-2000, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

Jim is gonna try his new pilot jet today. If he doesn't respond here after he gets it installed and the carb readjusted, I'll let him know there are people interested to know the results.

Quick Reply: 2K 400/ Hot Seat Performance parts