Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator 500 vs. Z400

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator 500 vs. Z400

WTF? Whoever is beating a Predator with a z400 is either a champ on the throttle vs. a neophyte, or there's something wrong with the Predator. Mod for mod, the Predator will eat a z400 for breakfast.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

From what I have seen It won't. I'm just speaking from my personal experiences I ride with the 2 Z's all the time and I've never seen a pred beat or even run close to them. Keep in mind i've seen this race with 15+ different pred's. I have even hopped on one of the 400's and beat predators myself. Maybe I'm just seeing every slow pred ever made but who knows. just for a comparison the second Z I mentioned runs about 1 length behind a honda 450 with a full lrd pipe, hrc cam, no airbox lid and a very good rider.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

I have a pred and one of my cousins has a Z, but we have never got to ride anywhere together, but I did ride his Z last time I went up to indiana for the family reunion. Compared to my pred, It does seem a little slower, but it worked great in the easy trails I went on with it. The gearing is lower and to me there was more bottom end power in it than the pred. My pred is stock and Ive only raced once (against a v-force), but my pred is running its usually on a trail. We have a place where I live with some ROUGH trails. Its fun. The pred does it really well, and I have found a few times when I couldve used reverse, but not enough to make me want to give up the pred [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But I think with you just coming into sport quads, you would be happier with the Z. But if it were me, Id get the extra 100cc's for the 100 bucks. If you have experence riding trails I really dont think you will find many times when you need to reverse. JMO. PS a pred for $5100 is a GREAT deal.

Old 06-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Range Rover

Get a pipe, jet kit and airbox mod, simster. You won't believe the difference it can make to fatten up the jets and get some more air through the Predator motor. I can now wheelie my predator just with throttle in 2nd gear. You know how hard it can be to wheelie the Predator (it's set up to get the power down instead of wheelying unlike several other designs) and now I have trouble putting all the power down on a grippy surface without the bars hitting me in the face all the way to 3rd gear! And I only went up one tooth in the rear... front sprocket is stock...! I gained so much low and midrange power I'm constantly trying to get into a higher gear since 5th gear now feels like 3rd used to... mod that sucker (properly), you'll be so happy you did!

Hope I get used to the hunt for sixth gear soon... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

How much do you think all those mods would cost? Ive been looking into finding a way for some more bottom end, and to wheelie better, but I dont wanna give up top speed with gearing changes.

Old 06-01-2004, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

I bought used parts, but here is what I used:

Pure Polaris Pipe (right now with 12 plates) with spark arrestor and sound core *IN*
Superbike airbox mod
K&N washable filter
70 pilot, 167.5 main, air screw 3.5 turns out, slide spring cut 4 coils
38 tooth rear sprocket, will be using 13 tooth front sprocket soon

That's my mods. Price them out and see what you come up with. I had Predatorizer on www.predatorowners.com install it all and set it up, he's quite good at the work. He was selling the parts in preparation for his 580cc motor buildup with full exhaust system + replacement carb... and he's gearing it up to do over 80mph for the rail trails.

Old 06-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: scrambler123
A friend of mine has a Z with just a pipe and cams and he has never lost to a predator. In 300ft he beats preds with the pure polaris slip on by 3-4 lenghts i've seen this at least 20 times. the closest i've seen a pred to him is 2 lengths it had a full pipe no air box and a 90 pound rider. My brother in law has a Z with a pipe, rev box, fcr40, intake cam, he beats piped predators by 5 lengths up boxcar and by even more in the flats
A pipe and cam....my point exactly in my prior post. We could do the same w/ a 400ex..... Put a pipe and cams on a Predator and I'll bet my house that you wouldnt be anywhere near me.

And for those of you mentioning that a Z w/ pipe, cam, filter, and carb can beat a Pred....NO ****!! ARE YOU GUYS STUPID? Think about how much of an a$$ whooping the Z would get if you modded the Pred the same? Geez some of you guys are just plain flat out stupid. Basically what you guys are saying is that a Ford Ranger w/ intake, cams, exhaust.....and crap can take on a SVT Lightning?!! Ya makes a whole bunch of sense. Stop speaking your nonsense and pull your head out of your a$$'. I dont think anyone would want to spend all that money on the Ranger when they could just go out and get a Lightning!

Im not saying a Z is a POS. Cuz I dont think that at all. Im just speaking about power and speed. You guys in here seem like the typical Dirt Wheel's subscribers and I bet most of you guys could write a review or two for em....this is what I picture seeing as a future heading to an article on the cover "Bone Stock Predator Gets Spanked By A Turbocharged, Nitrous Squirting Z440!!!!" YA GET REAL GUYS.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

jsyi don't get defensive I'm just stating what I have seen if you disagree oh well.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

jsyi,
thats exactly what i was gonna say give or take like a comma or period.
and jcee, i think you will be much better off with a pred. Especially for 5100 thats a great price!

Old 06-01-2004, 10:47 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

I have a buddy that has a Z.......I beat him by a quad or two. His was stock...But mine had the 4x4 a that time andt hey are half the weight of my quad. He rolled his last year and bent the frame, they straighted the fram back with a 2x4. The 03 was cheap made. They say that the 04 was better made. I would not have one, I rode his....and it was uncomfordable for me. I will aslo say they are quick...but I seen the Z get smoked by the predator at drag strip many of times.

Quick Reply: Predator 500 vs. Z400