Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SIlver Lake Noise question......

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIlver Lake Noise question......

The last two years that I have gone to Silver Lake, I have not been tested for noise levels....are they doing anything different this year? I have a 7 hour drive and don't want to be turned away because of a silly noise db test...I have a White Brothers pipe and I think the noise level is reasonable.....any response will be appreciated..

Old 06-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Mine is pretty loud, and they let a 250R in ahead of me that was quite a bit louder and even tested it. I don't think you'll have a problem...

Old 06-07-2004, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

When I went last year, they sound checked us and made sure we had spark arrestors. I repacked my silencer before we left and had a friend check it with his tester. I was at 98db. I took my stock silencer along just incase. The DNR let me slide and a couple of others too. I think they were more concerned with a spark arrestor. We are planning a trip over there on June 19. There will be a couple of 99' Sports, an 04 black and yellow Trail Boss along with a yellow Z400 and a red and yellow Banshee. Just look for us. Mine is the only Sport I have seen with a six-pack rack on it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

I had a back up plan also. I braought may stock silencer also. But if you can drive your truck in, just load it up in the back and drive the truck in and unload at the beach. If they didn't let me in, I was going to put my stocker on and then load it in the truck and drive in. If they stopped me to check the bike I would pass, then when I got down to the beach I would just slip on the other silencer. You do have to have a forestry approved Spark arrestor though. They never checked me, in the truck or riding in. They did check to see if I had a Sparky though...

Old 06-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

idk get why u have to have one of those spark arrestors!?!?! i have never seen anysparks or anything shoot out my exhaust?? and my pipe basically dont even got a silencer on it, its got like a can[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Its a state law here. All ORV, and Atv's must have them if riding on state property or forestry. Not a real need for them on the dunes, but they do not discriminate. Fuc&ing tree hugers!!!

Old 06-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

They're worried about burning down the dunes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] And yes, our Governor SUCKS!!!!!

Old 06-08-2004, 01:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am planning on going up there a lot this summer, i need to see what their db limit is before i purchase an exhaust system.

Old 06-08-2004, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

We hope to go July2-5 if I can get a camp site. All the sites are booked, I am watching for a cancelation everyday. Anybody going got room for one tent, truck and trailer????????????????

Sound Level Rules and Testing

Vehicle muffler noise levels will continue to be checked with the static or stationary sound level test performed at a 20-inch distance from the exhaust pipe at half the vehicle's rated maximum revolutions per minute (RPM) or as detailed in the automotive specifications SAE J1169, March 92 or SAE J1287, June 86, as was introduced in 2002. The maximum noise level permitted under these testing conditions will be 94 dBa which is the current limit set by the Off-Road Recreation Vehicles Act of Part 811 of 1994 PA 451 (MCL 324.811). All vehicles are required to have a muffler and spark arrester. Mufflers must contain baffles that meet U.S. Forest Service approval certification.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for all the feed back.....I have been going to Silver Lake for five years and I have never seen a bike being inspected for db.....just wanted to double check to make sure the tree huggers hadn't taken over!! LOL..I am leaving this Thursday and will be riding Friday, Saturday and Sunday...... hope to see you there!!

Quick Reply: SIlver Lake Noise question......