Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

U.S forest service may ban ATVs!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 03:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U.S forest service may ban ATVs!

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Originally posted by: jimmypsp700That's what a lot of people have said about our guns and look at how they (mostly liberals) keep trying to take them away and dwindle our rights.We must fight for our rights, nothings a given these days! Do what you can, make phone calls, e-mails, write....
Jimmy, you hit it on the head. Stop complaining that they can't do it and TAKE ACTION to stop them. Otherwise, it will be another law out there that WE will be forced to enforce. Believe me, there are alot of law enforcement officers that ride, but WE do have a job to do. Do what you can to stop the madness. Lt. Dan
That is the reason i started this thread, many people probably don't know just how hard people are fighting to ban ATVs the more that know about it the more we can fight it.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:22 AM
Quad Patrol

Thanks trailrider for bringing it to the attention of everyone. We as citizens do have the power to change things.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:39 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Lt. Dan and trailrider500 for the original post.

go to http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/S..._040623-1.html
and vote in the poll for your offroad rights!

Old 06-25-2004, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider

Guys,

We need to stop slapping ourselves on the back and bragging about how they cant ban us because we are too many. The real truth is that , as far as public land is concerned, all they would have to do is enforce some of the laws that are already on the books and we're out of business. I'm a bit older than some of you guys, and I remember not too many years ago when we were positive that they couldnt ever take our 3-wheelers. We all know how that worked out.

We need to make our numbers work for us. Our first step is to get organized. Join your local clubs and help local clubs form or join larger federations. Keep aware of who and where these threats are coming from and work to eliminate them. Most of us are old enough to vote and if we're organized, that scares hell out of politicians. Take a look at your local politicians and if they don't share your views, help get rid of them and put in someone who does share your views and interests.

Most of the damage to riding areas is done by a small number of riders. Our next step should be to distance ourselves from those people. If someone you ride with is an offender, correct him/her. Let them know that such behavior isn't cool and won't be tolerated. If they continue to offend, stop riding with them. Find someone else to ride with. If not, you're as guilty as they are.

Also, we need to make sure that the general public can tell the difference between those offenders and the rest of us. Make sure that if you catch the publics attention, you're cleaning up an area rather than destroying it. It's always better to be part of the solution than part of the problem.

Lastly, some of us older riders need to help educate beginners. They need to be taught that we should do all we can to leave an area better than we found it.

I'll step down from my soapbox now.

Keith

Old 06-25-2004, 03:52 AM
Quad Patrol

Heywood, I don't know what laws you are referring to that are already on the books that can ban atvs? But, I agree with you on you views.

Also, nice pictures of the great outdoors. Lt Dan

Old 06-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

they cant ban atvs. just put more regualtions on them. i wouldnt worry.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heywood,
You can't compare the old 3-wheeler ban to an all-out ban on ATV's. THe 3-wheeler ban was a federal effort to get motorcycle manufacturers to stop producing them, and start producing 4 wheeled ATV's due to safety concerns. Owners of 3-wheelers were still allowed all the rights of 4 wheelers. In fact I still see 3-wheelers everytime I head to the dunes. The only right that was taken away from us was the ability to go down to our local motorcycle shop and purchase a 3-wheeler. Much different than what were talking about here.

This is nothing new however. People have been trying to ban ATV's, Jetskis, dirtbikes, etc., etc, etc. for years. And it will probably never change. I for one am not to too concerned that I am going to wake up tomorrow and not be able to use my ATV.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

there is that much more reason why we need to re elect bush. then atleast we know we can ride for 4 more years. bush likes to hunt and is big on out door sporting. i would be if kerry even knows what a atv is. p.s. sorry to get all political. jmo

Old 06-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Superballs5337
they cant ban atvs. just put more regualtions on them. i wouldnt worry.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. They may not be able to completely outlaw the sales of atv's, but they most certainly can close State OHV parks, and don't put it past them to find the rare Okiwiki bird thats near extinction right in the middle of your favorite trail system and close it down..... Don't put it past the liberals and extremist groups. They may be a bunch of fruits and nuts, but they're VERY smart legally and can and WILL close down our riding areas if we let them.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

I'm an environmental engineer, and I'm also an avid ATVer. I can see both sides of the coin, but unfortunately, there are people that want everything left preserved (which is a righteous endevor, but not totally realistic), and there are people who don't give a flying sh%$ about anything - I have rode with people who think they can ride through meadows, wetlands, cryptobiotic soil, etc., and not give a notice to "NO ATV" signs. Unfortunately, we have SLUGS on both sides of the coin.

TREAD LIGHTLY - STAY ON THE TRAIL.

Quick Reply: U.S forest service may ban ATVs!