Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Strange noise - SP 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise - SP 500

I have a 1999 SP 500 with EBS and it started making a funny noice today when I went riding.
It has a vibration while going and when you let of the gas you can here some grinding in what sounds like the
front end. If seems like it coincides with the EBS system and really makes the sound if I turn the wheels
while slowing down too. I'm not very mechanical but was wondering if the EBS would be acting up.

Thanks.

Old 06-26-2004, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise - SP 500

A little more info.

I think it is the drive shaft to the front end. If you grab the shaft you can wiggle it around and
on decelaration you can see it really vibrate and turn. And thinking back, last week I was backing up
and seemed like it steering hard, I had small trailer on the back so thought it just from that, then I
heard a pop and it moved easier then, and right after that I noticed that the 4wheel switch was
turned on. Today was the first time I really got to take it out since and noticed the noise.

Should there be much play in the front end drive shaft? And if you think something broke, what was it
and how big of a fix do you think it will be?

Thanks for any info. I know I can't fix it myself but like to have some idea before it goes in the shop[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]