Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Temp Gauge - running temps

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005 | 01:03 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Temp Gauge - running temps

I would think you are still OK at 215 ... but you should stop and get the fan running, if the fan doesn't start then shut it down.

Old 02-27-2005 | 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info Chris. I just checked out your pics again, love the one with the 500 basically laying on its side on the muddy climb....

dave

Old 02-27-2005 | 03:42 PM
|
Pro Rider

thanks

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2005 | 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

I had the Temp warning come on today while driving around on the ice. Snow had been spraying on the fan, it melted, then froze, so the fan couldn't turn. I stopped right away, freed up the fan, and let it sit for five minutes (it was wicked cold and really really windy, it cooled off fast). Anyways, when that light comes on, should you just like panic and shut off the machine, or is it a warning that you should stop pretty soon and fix it. Also, if it overheated because the fan wasnt moving, should freeing up the fan be good enough to cool it down, or should you turn off the motor and let it cool before continuing?

I just dont want to hurt my quad in the mud in the summer.

Tyler

Old 02-27-2005 | 09:55 PM
|
Pro Rider

IMO ... if the over temp warning light comes on i would do the following;

1. STOP ... keep the engine running, you need the water pump to run
2. free up the fan
3. clear any mud/snow/ice from the radiator you can
4. make sure you see antifreeze in the overflow bottle

If the fan is running and the radiator is 75% clear, it will cool down in a couple of mins.

If all the above is good and the light doesn't stop after 2 mins ... shut down! and get a tow.

Old 02-27-2005 | 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you Chris, that's what I was looking for. When I get the time or the money I think I will invest in one of those temp gauges like you put in, it looks real nice and very useful. You would think that Polaris could've included a temp gauge in the odometer, it couldnt be that much more expensive.

Old 02-27-2005 | 10:11 PM
|
Pro Rider

It would have been nice of Polaris to put a TEMP and OIL pressure gauge on the POD ... since i ride in alot of sand/mud mix my radiator will get clogged fairly quickly.

Old 02-28-2005 | 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

I agree; in the summer all I like to do is play in the mud, and I am always afraid of how my engine is doing. Also, my neighbor tells me that you should never turn the machine off while the muffler is underwater, or it will suck in water. This makes sense, but it seems difficult to me for water to fill up the whole muffler and pipe with nowhere for the air to go. Is this something I should still worry about?

Tyler

Old 02-28-2005 | 04:22 PM
|
Pro Rider

You should always keep the machine running if the muffler is under water! If you shut off the engine and it's lower than the rear or you are just in deep water and you restart while still under water it WILL get water in the piston and hydro lock the engine.

What happens?? While starting the exhaust value opens and the water pressure is more than the air pressure ... water can get in faster than you think.

Old 02-28-2005 | 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 20045SP500HO
You should always keep the machine running if the muffler is under water! If you shut off the engine and it's lower than the rear or you are just in deep water and you restart while still under water it WILL get water in the piston and hydro lock the engine.

What happens?? While starting the exhaust value opens and the water pressure is more than the air pressure ... water can get in faster than you think.
yes sir my buds honda had that happen to him, locked the engine up so tight we thought he toasted it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] but those hondas just dont quit

Quick Reply: Temp Gauge - running temps